Question Involving Indoor Enclosure

Coyle8886

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, TX
I have the following aquarium that I would like to re-purpose and use for a Tort (Russian) later this summer: 220 Gallon Aquarium Link.

Given the larger size of the aquarium/terrarium(72x24x30) (particularly the height at 30 inches), what equipment do you recommend? I want to ensure that everything is appropriately setup/tested before I introduce the Tortoise to their environment.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
well that’s one above Average Aquarium. do you have it already? personally i wouldn’t use it for a Tortoise at least, how are going to change the substrate? your From Texas the Weather here it’s pretty much Good for them. you could house it in there but i’m pretty sure it would rather be outside. how big is your Tortoise? what’s your idea in setting the enclosure up?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I have the following aquarium that I would like to re-purpose and use for a Tort (Russian) later this summer: 220 Gallon Aquarium Link.

Given the larger size of the aquarium/terrarium(72x24x30) (particularly the height at 30 inches), what equipment do you recommend? I want to ensure that everything is appropriately setup/tested before I introduce the Tortoise to their environment.

That would work for awhile .. but not for an adult russian. Have ubread the russian Care thread? If not give it a read. Really good info

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

72x24 is too small for an adult Russian, but it would be great to start a baby in there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with what's been said. Russian tortoise, although a very small spcecies, require quite a bit of room. In their native land food is hard to come by and they have evolved to wander great distances looking for food. To confine a russian tortoise in a small space is very stressful for the animal. He will be digging in the corners, climbing the sides, pacing and driving you crazy.

The best enclosure for a Russian tortoise is a safe and secure outdoor space. If outdoors isn't possible, then the very largest space indoors you can accommodate. We recommend 4'x8'.

Coyle8886

Dallas, TX
Thanks for the input! I plan on building an indoor enclosure ASAP, but have this tank laying around for the time being.