question about breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
hi ,

i have 2 females african spurs 4-5 year old
if i would get me now a 4-5 year old male
would that work >? i mean would they females laying eggs ? or do they need to know each other for longer ? or how does it work?
sorry for the stupid question.
and also would i leave the eggs in the ground or what ?
i live in south florida
thanks guys
sandra
p.s one of my girls is smaller then the other- is that still ok if the male is larger ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
If at all possible, the make should be roughly the same size as the girls.

He would have to be kept completely separately, in quarantine, for at least 6 months to make sure that he didn't make your girls sick. After that, there are no guarantees that your girls will accept an invader to their territory, so you may have to keep him separately on a permanent basis and just introduce him to mate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your two tortoises are too young for you to know for sure what sex they are.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1st step: Post pics of the anal scutes and tails, and lets verify the sexes of your youngsters. Most females will not produce fertile eggs until the are 17-18". Its size, not age. Also once your start breeding them, growth slows way down because they start devoting a large portion of their nutritional intake to egg production. The male, however, will continue growing and growing and growing...
Step 2: Are you aware of the number of sulcatas bred every year? There is no shortage and a lot of people have trouble placing all their babies. Are you sure you want to add to that. Each female can drop as many as 100 babies a year. Are you able to find homes for 200 babies a year? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
step 3: Adding another tortoise to a pre-existing dynamic will shake things up. Sometimes it works out okay, and sometimes you end up with three separate enclosures to take care of with a single tortoise in each. Do you want to "go there"?

If you decide to do this, I would get a small male and let them grow together for a while. Give your young females more time to grow without a male harassing them all the time. Once he hits about 12-14" he will be after them all day long.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
hi,
thanks so much for the info.
i will send you pics tomorrow since they already sleeping :)
thanks again

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
i will send pics tomorrow also with size :)
i forgot
i think that there are females because
i used to had a russian tortoise - and this one ( i would say was a male )
try to mate with both of them- but they where like 8 inches when he tryed it ... it was fun to watch since he was way smaller...lol
but he ran away so ...
would let let me know if there are females or can they be gay ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
i think that there are females because
i used to had a russian tortoise - and this one ( i would say was a male )
try to mate with both of them- but they where like 8 inches when he tryed it ... it was fun to watch since he was way smaller...lol

This is not a good judge of what sex a tortoise is because a randy male Russian tortoise will try to mount anything, even a rock.

Going by the law of averages, you probably have two male sulcatas. The females are pretty scarce.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
hi guys i got the pics
first are from the small one its 16.5 inches from the top to the very end
the other one is 18 inches from top to end
the one ( smaller one ) shows its tail the other one dont want to... i tryed but it wont and the small one does it when i pickit up
so please help let me know what i have :)
thanks already
p.s the once from behind i forgot who is who :( LOL

i hav to say they look like 2 diffrent once to me... wired

Attachments

• small1.JPG
    small1.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 67
  • small2.JPG
    small2.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 72
  • big1.JPG
    big1.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 65
  • big2.JPG
    big2.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 71
  • big3.JPG
    big3.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC05718.JPG
    DSC05718.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC05719.JPG
    DSC05719.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 60

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Looks like 2 males to me. Just my humble 2 cents.
Scott

Vickie

5 Year Member
HI, I saw your post and had to agree you really need to think about it with the type of tortoises they are and weather breeding should be done. I agree they seem like great tortoises however, they tend to be the ones you see often for $50 and even less. That's even here in Ohio wear finding a tortoise in our area is rare. You might find you have a LOT of care into them and not much if anything out of all that extra work. On the eggs if it was me after living in FL myself for a few yrs I would say incubate them due to those horrid fire ants that will eat anything. I saw them while I was down there eat all types of eggs. Nasty little buggers. ;)

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
yes that is true.. the ants are bad...
thanks for helping
what do you think they are Vickie ?
can you tell ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The one on the left is a female and the other is a male.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Do u know why they dont mate then? Are they to young small?

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
Vickie said:
HI, I saw your post and had to agree you really need to think about it with the type of tortoises they are and weather breeding should be done. I agree they seem like great tortoises however, they tend to be the ones you see often for $50 and even less. That's even here in Ohio wear finding a tortoise in our area is rare. You might find you have a LOT of care into them and not much if anything out of all that extra work. On the eggs if it was me after living in FL myself for a few yrs I would say incubate them due to those horrid fire ants that will eat anything. I saw them while I was down there eat all types of eggs. Nasty little buggers. ;)
........They are the most popular "PET" tortoise in China. They have a upper middle class that totals more people than in the USA. You can sell all of them at once any day of the year if you find a reptile broker that exports. There are about 4 big time Chinese brokers/buyers in Fl. If it helps pay for your overhead/Vet. new torts. you want ,do it and dont let anyone put a guilt trip on you. Vic morgan emysbreeder

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Wow thank you, u are the nicest person who talked about breeding them to me, everybody tells me not to do it

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.