Q's new house

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonraser

5 Year Member
Hi,
Here is Q's new house...she love it very much because I have not seen her exploring so much before and she love all the little corner she can find to hide.

The before...

Tortoise007.jpg

Tortoise001.jpg

And the makeover...

Tortoise027.jpg

Tortoise005.jpg

I am the Queen of the world! :D
Tortoise024.jpg

In day time “Q” likes to hide under her new Banana tree for hours and peek on us. Checking out what we are doing
Tortoise012.jpg

Tortoise006.jpg

Hope you like this :)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
She's adorable and I love the changes you made! Lucky girl :)
Does she seem bothered that she can out of the enclosure? I have a hard enough time with Nelson who tries to climb out constantly, and the sides of his enclosure are black!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I like the addition of plants and real ones especially! That will hopefully keep the humidity up higher. I see too, that it looks like the sp. moss in the hide for humidity, that's great to see. I am no doubt overlooking it, but what do you feed Q on? I am not a great fan of the reptile bark myself, as I think it's a bit dry and hard edged for digging or accidental ingestion, but once more, that's just me. Overall great improvements!!

Sounds like Q is giving you high praises for the changes, which is what matters most. I would love to try a banana tree in one of my enclosures sometime, it looks wonderful. Has Q tried munching on it yet?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I love it! Wow what a change. I bet she loves her Banana tree. How old is she? She looks very young. She is a very nice looking tortoise. :D

moonraser

5 Year Member
ChiKat said:
She's adorable and I love the changes you made! Lucky girl :)
Does she seem bothered that she can out of the enclosure? I have a hard enough time with Nelson who tries to climb out constantly, and the sides of his enclosure are black!

Well Q did not show any sign of stress nor make any attempt to climp out…the only place that she can actually see out is under the banana tree and she sits there and look at us, turns her little when she see a movement. :)

Jacqui said:
I like the addition of plants and real ones especially! That will hopefully keep the humidity up higher. I see too, that it looks like the sp. moss in the hide for humidity, that's great to see. I am no doubt overlooking it, but what do you feed Q on? I am not a great fan of the reptile bark myself, as I think it's a bit dry and hard edged for digging or accidental ingestion, but once more, that's just me. Overall great improvements!!

Sounds like Q is giving you high praises for the changes, which is what matters most. I would love to try a banana tree in one of my enclosures sometime, it looks wonderful. Has Q tried munching on it yet?

Hi,

I have this set up for a week now and nope Q has not much on the banana tree yet. I don’t see any teeth mark on the leaf or any missing part. She did have a bit of the little cactus plant you see there but she immediately spit it out as fast as she can and rubbed her face with her hand.

You are right with the humidity; the level is a bit low at this point. I have to work something out. In the old layout I had was cypress mulch and bark half and half but then the cypress had some little with bugs and it scared me:( I only had it for 1 month. One day when I was about to soak Q and out of curiosity I turn her over to check under her, that is when I found few white little bug scrambling trying to hide....scary!!!!2 days later Q had a new enclosure set up.

To make up for the humidity I have add forest moss here and there in the enclosure. The bark is in the black tray and I have put forest moss (about 2 ½ inches) of the space left, all along the side of the tank.
Q don’t really like the hide you see right under her in the picture, I have not seen her in yet. She would go to her flower pot (with cypress mulch for bedding) at the other end of the enclosure and sleep there for the night. Day time she sit under her banana tree. I had some forest moss under the tree but she don’t like it and just push it out of the way.

I basically follow The redfoot.com’s diet…2 or 3 days for spring mix or other greens and 1 day of fruits and once a week a little cat food. The last time I waited 10 days before I gave her cat food because I find when she eat cat food she will not eat much of her greens for the next 2 days.

:):):)

Candy said:
I love it! Wow what a change. I bet she loves her Banana tree. How old is she? She looks very young. She is a very nice looking tortoise. :D

Thanks Candy :) I am not sure how old is she and I'm not even sure if it's a SHE lol :D:D I think she is :p
But I know she is 5 ½ weeks older than when first got her :D:D:D

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Very nice. What is the environment like? What's the humidity level? Just some friendly advice (that you don't have to take): I would recommend putting up some terrarium/aquarium background (that stuff that comes in rolls and is all glossy) around the glass just high enough that she can't see out to help alleviate stress and to keep her from walking into the glass.

moonraser

5 Year Member
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Very nice. What is the environment like? What's the humidity level? Just some friendly advice (that you don't have to take): I would recommend putting up some terrarium/aquarium background (that stuff that comes in rolls and is all glossy) around the glass just high enough that she can't see out to help alleviate stress and to keep her from walking into the glass.

Hey! I am new with Tortoise and all advices are welcome…
Actually I have a 6 inches wooden band on all 4 sides of the tank…I got those at a craft store (Omer Deserres) I painted it black and stick it on the glass with double side tape.

I knew nothing about how to raise tortoise and what it take…and my mistake was to ask the pet shop staff as what to get and what I need. They sold me a 40 gallons critters tank and the reptile’s kit. But I am aiming for a tortoise table by this summer.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That was a great up-grade. I love that banana tree. I love it so much, I think I'm going to get one. Thanks.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
moonraser said:
the only place that she can actually see out is under the banana tree and she sits there and look at us, turns her little when she see a movement.

She did have a bit of the little cactus plant you see there but she immediately spit it out as fast as she can and rubbed her face with her hand.

I had some forest moss under the tree but she don’t like it and just push it out of the way.

when she eat cat food she will not eat much of her greens for the next 2 days.

And some people still thiink tortoises do not have distinct personalities...;)

She seems to enjoy gazing at her reflection in the glass!

I believe you are doing an excellent job of creating the unique micro-climate (and setting) for your little Q.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.