Pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
I read that water turtles can pyramid just like torts. Help! Mine are growing too fast and pyramiding i think!!! ImageUploadedByTortForum1374685704.589454.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1374685726.136999.jpg u can't see very well but the scutes are growing farther apart and raising up. What do i do besides feed them less!

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
I have limited experience with water turtles, but it looks more like new growth on those shells than pyramiding. I kept two RES through college and they did fine. I have not heard of pyramiding in water turtles, but it may be possible I guess. I can say that feeding them less is usually never the right response. I'd look more at the environment and diet. If they are growing then they need proper nutrition, so make sure they get the right vitamins. They also need proper sun exposure through UV light, or direct sunlight outside. Between diet and adequate amounts of sun, they should develop a good shell.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I've been convinced that water turtles are deserving of academy awards...every time you walk into the room they will convince you that you forgot to feed them. They are such gluttons! :)

What and how much and how often are you feeding them?

Have they experienced rapid weight gain?

Are you providing a calcium supplement?

Are they getting proper UV light exposure?

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.