Possible sick Russian?

Amanda8653

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I am looking for any advice. I have 2 female Russians that are a few years old. Lately one of my girls has been very lethargic, mostly just sleeps but that’s always been her temperament so I wasn’t too concerned. But Im not seeing her eat ever and I’m starting to get worried, and Now I’m noticing she never opens her eyes, even during soaks. It looks like her eyes are moving beneath her eyelids which is what concerns me. Does anyone have experience with this? I’ve had her for years and this has never happened.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Hi,
There are several things that could be causing this or a compound of several issues.
If it is ok, I would like to ask a few questions to help figure out what is going on.
1. Are you housing these torts together?
2. What is their diet?
3. What kind of lights are being used? Have you recently changed them?
4. What are your temps and humidity?
5. What do you use as a substrate?
6. Any pics of your enclosure may also help.

Amanda8653

Michigan
Hi,
There are several things that could be causing this or a compound of several issues.
If it is ok, I would like to ask a few questions to help figure out what is going on.
1. Are you housing these torts together?
2. What is their diet?
3. What kind of lights are being used? Have you recently changed them?
4. What are your temps and humidity?
5. What do you use as a substrate?
6. Any pics of your enclosure may also help.

Okay let’s see if I can hit all of these:

IMG_7679.jpgIMG_7268.jpgIMG_7277.jpg

zIMG_7681.jpg

We use the a dirt/mulch substrate mix, their diets consist of a variety of spring mix, dandelion, kale, endives, cucumber(sometimes). In the summer they spend a lot of time outside and graze! I did give her a warm carrot bath today and one eye opened but it looked very filmy and unfocused. Zoo med 100watt bulbs are used along with uvb, and a nightlight. My humidity gage is broken so I can’t tell the humidity right this moment

Bambam1989

East Texas
Okay let’s see if I can hit all of these:

View attachment 226589View attachment 226590View attachment 226591

zView attachment 226592

We use the a dirt/mulch substrate mix, their diets consist of a variety of spring mix, dandelion, kale, endives, cucumber(sometimes). In the summer they spend a lot of time outside and graze! I did give her a warm carrot bath today and one eye opened but it looked very filmy and unfocused. Zoo med 100watt bulbs are used along with uvb, and a nightlight. My humidity gage is broken so I can’t tell the humidity right this moment
I see several possibilities, lets discuss them.
Lighting- are you using a Mercury vaper bulb for uv(this puts out heat as well as light) or is it one of those curly or loopy looking bulbs?
Do your torts receive about 13hrs of light a day? If not, your tort may be wanting to hibernate.
Any colored lights used at night time may stress your tort. If you can see it, so can they.
Substrate- is that pine mulch? Pine and cedar releases fumes that when in a confined space can make torts sick.
Dual torts- you will find that a lot of keepers don't recommend keeping two torts together. It's usually keep them solitary or in groups of three or more. This is to prevent one tort from bullying the other. Bullying is often psychological in the beginning and escalates over time to physical. If you don't know the signs of bullying we can explain them if you want.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
I’ll agree that it might be having both of them together.

You say she’s always been sleepy/lethargic, and that’s a common symptom of bullying going on. It could be that’s she’s finally showing more signs of the stress getting to her. Torts shouldn’t be too sleepy, shy, or lethargic.

Please remember bullying isn’t just physical, as torts are expert mental bullies. Even if they’ve been together their whole lives it can still be it.