please help first time russian tort owner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOrdan2020

5 Year Member
hi,
so ive asked a few people about raising my russian tort and got some good advice but im still not that sure how to tell if i have a male or female or what i should be feeding it from what ive heard it sounds like i have a male even though the place i bought it from said it was a female!! well if anyone could help that would be great thanks so much!!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Here's a great thread with a very good list of what you can feed your Russian http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html
You will have to post pictures of the tortoises plastron (underneath shell) for us to give a go at sexing your tortoise for you.

Danny

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Congrats on your new tort. Boys ususally have a longer tail that extends over to their leg when tucked in. But like Danny said if you post a pic we can tell for sure!

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
welcome to the forum, We have had Charlie for 2 years now and have found that he loves butternut squash -- chilled but cooked, spring mix, beet greens, mustard greens, kale & spinach (limited on the kale and spinach). Most tort owners say dandylion greens and flowers, but charlie spits them out and wont touch any flowers.
here is a link to a really good care sheet that has great advise that we have followed.
Don't forget to bring to the vet at least once a year for a check up and fecal sample.
http://www.russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm
and pics will be needed to help determine sex. but the rule of thumb is longer tail = male.--- charlies curls up to the side of his shell and the tip reachs the top of his back leg. Tail opening is more of slit with a hook on the end, a female should be more of a star shape, short and stubby.

Status
Not open for further replies.