Plants/ grass in my turtle enclosure?

crissyshine

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Durham, NC
So I would like to possibly plant some box turtle safe plants/ grass in my torts enclosure.
(FYI, I do not have a green thumb!)

Is there anything low maintenance that you guys could recommend?
Right now I have top soil and coco coir and it holds humidity very well.

Also, would I need worms/ pill bugs to make the soil rich and keep it clean. (I was thinking about putting those in there anyway).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    805.6 KB · Views: 29

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have spiderplants and hostas in mine. I kill a lot of plants but these are easy. I love having pill bugs and worms in my boxie enclosure. Keeps it clean and good food source for boxie to hunt. Pill bugs multiply fast too.

crissyshine

5 Year Member
Durham, NC
I have spiderplants and hostas in mine. I kill a lot of plants but these are easy. I love having pill bugs and worms in my boxie enclosure. Keeps it clean and good food source for boxie to hunt. Pill bugs multiply fast too.
Not afraid of bugs, but will they get out?
My sister may not be too fond of that if they do.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Not afraid of bugs, but will they get out?
My sister may not be too fond of that if they do.
Mine dont but my enclosure is made out of thick plexi so I'm not sure if they can climb it.

Torch

5 Year Member
I've never experienced pill bugs getting out. They hide quite a bit under wood and plants, and also dig down a bit into the soil. They don't seem to climb upwards, if that makes sense.

I've gone through at least a hundred in a year and never found one in my house. My babies are still young and housed in an open container.