Photos and advice for UK indoor set up

Sydnie

Location (City and/or State)
Tamworth, England
Hiya, I don’t currently own a tortoise but have wanted to for a few years now but always been too scared because they look quite complicated to care for and I wouldn’t want to get an animal if I couldn’t provide it with the very best quality of care possible.

So I’ve been doing lots of research but I keep coming across conflicting information (which isn’t helping my anxiety on being able to care for one of these little critters 🥴). Some sites say house them outside only, others inside, some say to keep the substrate moist other say dry. It feels like a mine field!

So I thought I’d join a forum and ask real owners for their advice.

I’m thinking a Hermanns tortoise would be a good fit for me. I think an inside enclosure would be best because I live in the UK and the weather is miserable and cold. Plus I live in the country side and foxes, rats, stouts and birds of prey visit our garden regularly.

I’ve been thinking of using an old bookshelf on its back as an enclosure. I saw that hermanns tortoise need a min of 2ft x 4ft and the bookcase I’m looking at would offer that. Would that be big enough? I also saw that enclosures that are too big are difficult to control the temp and UV in.

How do you keep your tortoises and do you have any advice? Many thanks in advance!

PollyAda

Location (City and/or State)
West Midlands, England