Pancake Surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I recently purchased these 2 female pancake tortoises last month and was surprised to find an egg in their pen yesterday morning. The darker tortoise has been restless lately. I was told they were kept with males and there's a possibility this egg might be fertile. This is my very first tortoise egg so keep your fingers crossed for me!

FemalePancakes.jpg

Here's the larger pancake tortoise egg with some fertile 3 toed box turtle eggs.
PancakeEgg.jpg

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
PATMAN said:
I recently purchased these 2 female pancake tortoises last month and was surprised to find an egg in their pen yesterday morning. The darker tortoise has been restless lately. I was told they were kept with males and there's a possibility this egg might be fertile. This is my very first tortoise egg so keep your fingers crossed for me!

FemalePancakes.jpg

Here's the larger pancake tortoise egg with some fertile 3 toed box turtle eggs.
PancakeEgg.jpg

It looks great. Our freshly laid Pancake eggs are slightly clear initially and then chalk up to completely white within a few days. Yours already appears white. Fingers crossed here too.
The females look great!! The light colored one is very pretty and unique looking.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Patrick I am definitely sitting with my fingers crossed hoping for a firtile egg for you. :) How exciting. Though I do not think in the pic it looks like it has chalked yet (sorry Tim and Robin). But with dealing with box turtle eggs I am sure you know what an egg looks like when it chalks. Please keep us informed.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Congrats - super exciting!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Thats great news Patrick :D

Pancake eggs are interesting in that they lightly chalk (if fertile) within the first week. It's not a deep white, but more a whitish cast. You can see it happening with a small flashlight. Than the 1 to 3 month wait before the egg starts to develop. :D

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
wow, it is so interesting to read about how different torts work and grow. Even chalking is different in different species. Who knew. I thought chalking was the same, now I know different. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
First off, really nice pancakes you have. Second is congrats and fingers crossed on the egg!

desertsss

5 Year Member
Congrats. Hope it turns out to be fertile. So exciting!! Keep posted!:D

kaabi

5 Year Member
Hi my pancake just laid an egg too i m incubating it at 30 to 31 degreeC but am unsure about the humidity, can you pls help me out here?

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
kaabi said:
Hi my pancake just laid an egg too i m incubating it at 30 to 31 degreeC but am unsure about the humidity, can you pls help me out here?

Unfortunately, my egg turned out to be infertile and the inside dried up. I kind of figured it was not fertile because it never turned a nice white color.

As for humidity, Tim/Robin told me to keep the ambient humidity up to at least 70%. Once any pip, I keep the humidity around 80% . Good luck with your egg and let us know if and when it hatches!

kaabi

5 Year Member
PATMAN said:
kaabi said:

Unfortunately, my egg turned out to be infertile and the inside dried up. I kind of figured it was not fertile because it never turned a nice white color.

As for humidity, Tim/Robin told me to keep the ambient humidity up to at least 70%. Once any pip, I keep the humidity around 80% . Good luck with your egg and let us know if and when it hatches!

ok i got the temp to be at 30 to 31 but in the morning it will drop to around 29plus, and durin the hottest time of the day it can reach max 31.2 is it ok?

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Yes it is OK. Many times the temp in the incubator will fluctate during the day. A few degrees should do no harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.