Outside

Ilovetorts123

5 Year Member
I have a 3 ish year Old Russian and he's kept in a vivarium at roughly 25/ 77 degrees. In the uk it's usually cold but because of the nice weather we took him out for a walk and excerise. It's the first time he's been outside and we thought he would be scuttling around loving all the space but he didn't, he didn't walk much. Do they not like going outside or do you think he was bit nervous going out for the first time? I'm not sure wether to take him out again?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Yes, take him out as much as possible....he will realize the awesomeness of it....all is just new and alot to take in....you may really want to plan on setting up a secure outdoor space for this tortoise....he really will benefit from outdoor time when weather permits it....just make sure the enclosure is very secure....Is that a pic of the tort in your avatar? If so, that tort appears much older than 3.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The tortoise in your avatar picture looks quite a bit older than 3 years. Looks almost full grown to me.

My opinion on the taking them outside thing is - don't do it unless you have a safe and secure space to set him down in. Russian tortoises are great escape artists and you just need to look away for a minute and he'll be gone. The tortoise needs to be outside in the sun, so make him an outdoor habitat and take him out as often as possible.

Ilovetorts123

5 Year Member
The avatar was a really close up picture, in my opinion he is quite small compared to a fully grown i saw. But thanks we have let him out on to a wooden decking an duper close supervision