Ornamental gingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I've been searching all over the Internet, including the wonderful tortoiselibrary, to try and find out if ornamental gingers are toxic to tortoises. That would be things like Alpinia zerumbet (Shell Ginger), Costus speciosus (Crepe Ginger), Curcuma elata (and C. Longa), Globba wintii, Hedychium coronarium (and coccineum)- aka Butterfly Ginger, Kaempfera pulchra (and K. rotunda and K. zerumbet). any experience? Thoughts? Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I thought this was interesting...first they say its toxic, then they say animals can eat it, then they say its toxic. So I would not feed it on purpose:

Alpinia Toxicity
According to the Pacific Island Ecosystems at Risk project, Alpinia purpurata is not toxic to animals. However, all parts of any Alpinia species are considered poisonous. Dr. Alice B. Russell of North Carolina State University writes that the leaves, stems and roots all can all cause cardiac effects upon ingestion. These effects are classified as low toxicity. Sap from ornamental ginger causes brief, minor skin and eye irritations.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/524916-is-hawaiian-ginger-edible/#ixzz21BS5Gvrw

Status
Not open for further replies.