Open topped versus closed top

Tort1419

I have a large open topped enclosure for my Russian tortoise. Here are my temps. Measured with a temp gun. Enclosure is 31.25 square feet
Lights: 100 watt mvb power sun, another light( just for light)
Basking: 95-105
Warm side (about 15-25% of the square footage): 85-95
Middle side(15-25% of square footage): 75-80
Cool side( 50% if square footage): 72-75
Night: 70
Humidity 30-50%

He is happy, healthy, eating, pooing.
He is basking most of the time but I do catch him on other sides of the enclosure either just roaming, sleeping, grazing, and his food dish is there as well. Should I change to a closed top near the warm section so that more of the square footage is warmer?
Also he used to like his soaks( I soak him in a small silver tub)
But now he hates it, he will only stay in there for like 5-10 minutes.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I have a large open topped enclosure for my Russian tortoise. Here are my temps. Measured with a temp gun. Enclosure is 31.25 square feet
Lights: 100 watt mvb power sun, another light( just for light)
Basking: 95-105
Warm side (about 15-25% of the square footage): 85-95
Middle side(15-25% of square footage): 75-80
Cool side( 50% if square footage): 72-75
Night: 70
Humidity 30-50%

He is happy, healthy, eating, pooing.
He is basking most of the time but I do catch him on other sides of the enclosure either just roaming, sleeping, grazing, and his food dish is there as well. Should I change to a closed top near the warm section so that more of the square footage is warmer?
Also he used to like his soaks( I soak him in a small silver tub)
But now he hates it, he will only stay in there for like 5-10 minutes.

If you have a happy, healthy, eating and pooing tortoise in the current set up...for goodness sake, take no direction from outside....continue to do what you are doing....hands down....to achieve what you describe, is a blessing to continue to count my friend....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Most of that sound pretty good.

Your humidity is on the low side. I would simply offer a humid hide on the warm side to counter this.

With dry substrate and an open top, hydration will be important for you. Keep up the soaks regardless of whether or not you think he likes it. I'd go 20-30 minutes, and he will stay in there as long as you want if you are using the correct tub. Don't worry about it if he's restless in there. The exercise is good for them. You can try different times of day, different water temperatures or different depths to see if he likes them.

Tort1419

Most of that sound pretty good.

Your humidity is on the low side. I would simply offer a humid hide on the warm side to counter this.

With dry substrate and an open top, hydration will be important for you. Keep up the soaks regardless of whether or not you think he likes it. I'd go 20-30 minutes, and he will stay in there as long as you want if you are using the correct tub. Don't worry about it if he's restless in there. The exercise is good for them. You can try different times of day, different water temperatures or different depths to see if he likes them.

Ok thanks that's very reassuring, I do have several hiding places in the hot area that are humid. He has a lot of little microclimates. Also once a week I take out everything on the warm and middle side of the enclosure and add water, so that during the week he can dig down to Thermoregulate if he needs to. I do not touch the cool side, because cold and humid is a recipe for disaster. Also like maybe 2-3 times a week I spray the middle and warm sides of the enclosure FULLY. I will continue with the soaks and force him to stay in there, should I change the bin I soak him in, he really, really hates it. For example, after ten minutes of him trying to climb out and making a huge scene I put him on the floor so I could dry him with a towel ( I used to let him roam around a little bit, in the winter when he couldn't go outside but TODAY I have learned by reading several forums that this is something you NEVER EVER EVER!!! want to do. The risks are just way too high.) but before I could dry him he ran away. It was the fastest I have every seen him move in my life. It was even faster than when I held radicchio (his favorite) food up in front of him and made him exercise before I gave it to him (I didn't stress him out when he chased it, it was only for a few seconds). And I know he was scared because we got him a tunnel for Christmas (one for five year old kids and when summer turns around I plan to let him spend some time outside with it,) but he totally ran and hid behind it. I walked silently up to him and as soon as he saw my shadow he retracted into his shell. He has never done that before, EVER. Sorry for all the ()