Odd large poo

Tortloverr

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia, USA
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466280024.526219.jpg

So I was just soaking George, I walked away and when I came back I found him as shown in the picture. It looked like a clump of grass/dirt and (after he walked back through it) broke apart and was stringy. His poos have been fairly regular and consistent in appearance and size, so this worries me. Should I be worried? Is there anything that may have caused this?

After I brought him out, he pooped on the floor, a small "normal" poop. I had been feeding him a mix of romaine, escarole, and green lettuce, but the last few days I've been feeding him an organic spring mix from the grocery store. He seems to really like eating it, even though I know tortoises will eat things that aren't good for them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Poop looks fine, but you really need a better diet for him. More weeds, leaves, flowers and such. Grocery store lettuces are not great for tortoises.

Tortloverr

Virginia, USA
Poop looks fine, but you really need a better diet for him. More weeds, leaves, flowers and such. Grocery store lettuces are not great for tortoises.

I'm working on growing a few things from seed for him that I got from Carolina Pet Supply and ATC, so I will hopefully be able to feed him that soon. I had planted some sprouting chicory in his exclosure in an area he didn't really go to but he ate all of it. Right now I have some things in the garden I could feed him including:

Butterfly bush
Hibiscus
Shasta daisy
Butterfly bush
Coneflower
Heuchera
Astilbe
Daylilies
Ice plant
Coreopsis
Candytuft
Dahlias
Blue fescue grass
Geraniums
Bellflower

I've tried a few of these occasionally, he loves the hibiscus, but won't even nibble candytuft, ice plant, or the butterfly bush leaves. I'm just not sure how often I should be giving him these things

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not familiar with most of those plants, but if you have verified them safe, then those should be the majority of his diet. You will likely have to spend weeks or months getting him to eat all those things, and slowly weaning him off of the grocery store stuff.

Tortloverr

Virginia, USA
Thanks, that's extremely helpful and I will work on getting his diet switched around!!

I've checked everything with thetortoisetable.org when I was decided what to plant, so it should all be okay :)

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
If it helps, my tortoises poop usually look very loose and bigger in their soaks too. Im thinking it has to be something about being in the water. Poops that are made outside of their soaks look perfect

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Romaine isn't the best for solid poops. I only feed in extreme heat to keep my guy hydrated but other than that it drains them too mcuh

Tortloverr

Virginia, USA
Romaine isn't the best for solid poops. I only feed in extreme heat to keep my guy hydrated but other than that it drains them too mcuh
Noted! Thanks! I thought I had seen somewhere that it wasn't the best but I've read that it's good for them to so I wasn't sure, but I will definitely keep it to a minimum now! :)