Nipping forelimbs

Abi1006

Hello Everyone! I very new to this so be nice I have a concern and question about my little tort called alfonzo. He is a 6 year old Hermann, I didn't get him as a hatchling, I like to say I rescued him for gumtree! (Person who was selling was abit odd!) he lives in a tortoise table with coconut coir as substrate, fed a range of food and always provided with fresh water. Very bright and active, eating well, don't see him drink but he regularly gets bathed!

Recently we have been letting him explore more of the house before our dog sadly passed away so there is less risk of alfonzo getting hurt! But now when he is exploring be wonders a rounds, stops sniffs his leg and then starts to nip at it, never hard enough to cause damage. I sometimes stop him or he stops himself then wonders off, he also starts to bite at the carpet. Then maybe go back to his leg. He never EVER does this when he is in his table? Which is why I'm so confused because if there was an infection or irritation, he would continue to nip at his leg, but he only does it when he is exploring. I wonder if this is a behaviour trait? He is quite feisty, could it be stress of frustration? Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks in advance :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I wouldn't allow my tortoise to wander around on the floor. There are just too many things he could get into trouble with or eat. Plus, it's a lot colder on the floor.

He may be picking up some little no-see-ums off the floor that are either biting his legs or walking on him and tickling him. Give him a good soak in warm water and leave him in the water for about 15 or 20 minutes.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree that letting your tort wander round the house isn't a great idea.

They aren't terribly bright and tend to attempt to eat without thinking. The chances of your tort eating carpet fluff, plastic or worse are too high.

If he needs more space then it's time for a bigger enclosure.

Abi1006

I only let him out and about in the house just to give him abit more freedom, his enclosure is big enough! Just wanted to allow him to explore! He is never out long either! Just waiting for this damn weather to warm out and stop being so wet! We have some nasty seagulls around my house so I'm so wary of leaving him outside alone, although it is my plan to make an outdoor enclosure for him in the summer. And I agree they aren't the smartest animal! But thankyou for letting me know, I won't let him out in the house :) like I said no evidence of trauma or infection so that must be it! Thankyou for replying, really appreciate it!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello Everyone! I very new to this so be nice I have a concern and question about my little tort called alfonzo. He is a 6 year old Hermann, I didn't get him as a hatchling, I like to say I rescued him for gumtree! (Person who was selling was abit odd!) he lives in a tortoise table with coconut coir as substrate, fed a range of food and always provided with fresh water. Very bright and active, eating well, don't see him drink but he regularly gets bathed!

Recently we have been letting him explore more of the house before our dog sadly passed away so there is less risk of alfonzo getting hurt! But now when he is exploring be wonders a rounds, stops sniffs his leg and then starts to nip at it, never hard enough to cause damage. I sometimes stop him or he stops himself then wonders off, he also starts to bite at the carpet. Then maybe go back to his leg. He never EVER does this when he is in his table? Which is why I'm so confused because if there was an infection or irritation, he would continue to nip at his leg, but he only does it when he is exploring. I wonder if this is a behaviour trait? He is quite feisty, could it be stress of frustration? Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks in advance :)

You know that your little tortoise friend is not the first tort to do this behavior...to be honest, there Is no way to know why they do this, what appears to be, crazy behavior.....perhaps as mentioned maybe something that looks yummy or something that stuck to the leg....no way to know....Gumtree? please explain ....I can not wait...:p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I was hoping there was a really interesting story behind gumtree

Abi1006

Well I googled tortoises for sale and a link came up on gumtree, joesmum is right it's like Craigslist! But when I went to visit the seller was telling me I could keep alfonzo in a draw if I wanted to and there isn't much to looking after a tortoise! I'm a veterinary nurse so I knew already that tortoise aren't the easiest animals and definitely not to keep them in a draw! It was a smile and nod moment and run away with the tortoise :') thanks for your replies, really helpful :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well I googled tortoises for sale and a link came up on gumtree, joesmum is right it's like Craigslist! But when I went to visit the seller was telling me I could keep alfonzo in a draw if I wanted to and there isn't much to looking after a tortoise! I'm a veterinary nurse so I knew already that tortoise aren't the easiest animals and definitely not to keep them in a draw! It was a smile and nod moment and run away with the tortoise :') thanks for your replies, really helpful :)
A large deep drawer or bookcase with the shelves knocked out can make a good tortoise table, so there is an element of truth in what was said.

However, there is a bit more to it than that as you know :)