newcomer! Advice?

<Dani>

Hello, my name's Dani, and I'm looking to purchase my first tortoise. I'm most likely going to get a red-footed tortoise and, as it's my first time, I've been trying to read and gather all the information I can to help me provide the best care possible. Unfortunately I'm not sure what sites and what information I can trust, so I was hoping some of you with more experience could offer some tips to get me started and help me keep my tortoise happy and healthy!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well you came to the right place my friend . If your going to buy a red foot N2torts is your man . As for care tortoise library is a members site check it out it's full of stuff you'll need to know . And welcome to TFO!

<Dani>

Well you came to the right place my friend . If your going to buy a red foot N2torts is your man . As for care tortoise library is a members site check it out it's full of stuff you'll need to know . And welcome to TFO!

okay, I'll be sure to check the tortoise library out. thank you very much!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Look up Jeff (aka N2torts) he has some nice looking red foots . I think his web site is tortoise cove it pops up in a Google search.

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I bought my Cherryhead Redfoot from Jeff. He's good people and knows what he's doing when it comes to breeding red footed tortoise. Peoples two biggest mistakes when getting their 1st Rf is they don't make the enclosure big enough and they don't build something that holds high humidity.

RF torts originate from South America and need to be kept at a higher temperature than other torts and at a much higher humidity level. The humidity needs to be constant at 90% or better. An open top tortoise table or glass VIV will not hold constant humidity and you'll be fighting it all day....and your tort will suffer pyramiding while you are in a learning curve. Be sure to check out the enclosure section to see what other Redfoot owners do.

Welcome to TFO. Redfoot torts are some of the best and have great personalities. Be sure to read up and ask a lot of questions.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

<Dani>

I've been looking through Jeff's gallery and all his torts look gorgeous! I'll certainly have to read up a bit more on enclosures, but I definitely plan on creating a large area to ensure there's room to roam :)

thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Where in the country do you live?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Dani!