Newbie from PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveFord

5 Year Member
Hello,
I'm Steve Ford from south central Pennsylvania.
I'm a newbie to this forum but not to tortises!
I got hooked as a 5 year old when my mother took me to Turtleback Zoo in Orange, NJ and I got to take a ride on the back of a Galapogos Tortise - that was it!
Soon I had the poor red eared sliders from Woolworths (and their ant egg food?!), box turtles, soft shell turtles, you name it.
That was 48 years ago and since then I've had quite a few tortises: Leopard, Red Foot, Yellow Foot, Sulcata and one Hingeback.
I had the misfortune of boarding my tortises at a reptile shelter a few years back and they housed them with sick box turtles which I wasn't aware of. Whatever it was they caught there ended up killing three of my Leopard Tortises which was heartbreaking. No matter what the vets tried it didn't work. Runny nose syndrome, I believe it's called.
I still have my buddy, Tromper, a great male Leopard who must be in his 30s by now. He's owned me for 20 years now.
I also have two really nutty Red Foots, Max and Amy, who can be even more personable than Tromper. I've had them since hatchlings and they're still young, maybe 8 or 9 years old.
Tromper appears to have avoided the horrible plague which killed off my other Leopards so this Spring I'll see if I can't find a good sized female to keep him company.
I also have quite a few boas, pythons and monitors which are all great but tortises are my first love.
At any rate, that's me.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Which type of hingeback did you have?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Steve and welcome to the Forum!

mytortET

5 Year Member
Hi Steve! Welcome to the Tortoise Forum. Do you still have your sulcata? If so, how old?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Hi & welcome! Turtle Back Zoo sounded so cool and I looked it up and it is only 2.5 hours away from me. I might check it out!!

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
Hello and welcome...(go steelers! Even though they sucked this year...)

lol yes... Go Steelers & they did stink this year them bums but I still love them anyway. I even have a black & gold tortoise :D

SteveFord

5 Year Member
Thank you, everyone.
I don't have any Sulcatas at the moment, just the one Leopard and two Red Foot.
At one time I had something like 20 tortises which was a bit much to take care of.
It's been so long ago I'm not 100% sure on the Hingeback, I want to say Bells? That was a pet store rescue which was just being horribly mistreated. I remember it liked eating spaghetti, of all things!
Call ahead on Turtleback Zoo, the last I heard they'd ceased operations but I could be wrong.
Those Galapagos rides really made a last impression on a little kid. I just loved that place.

SteveFord

5 Year Member
nubbin.jpgHere are two that were sadly wiped out by that horrible infection that decimated my tortise collection:
Nubbin (a hatchling that I kept back) attempting to have his wicked way with Sexpot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.