Newbee

Status
Not open for further replies.

montana

5 Year Member
Hi my name is Montana ... I don`t have a Tortoise at this time but I do have an interest .Long ago we would find box turtles and bring them home for a few days .There were two different kinds one was greenish and the other tiger striped .I found them fascinating.A girl I knew had a spur tortoise it was big as a cowboy hat .She said it was just a little one ... He was way cool .I live in a part of the country where we don`t have alot of summer .. So keeping a tortoise outside isn`t practical ...I have little experience and can not provide a specialized diet .If you know what I mean ? What breed would you suggest???

Smithen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati Ohio
Welcome to the forum! I would suggest a Russian Tortoise, Hermmans Tortoise, or a Lepord Tortoise. They are all fairly easy to care for and stay pretty small. Make sure you do all your research before getting one. This is a wonderful site that has alot of helpful people so feel free to ask any questions you may have and I'm sure someone should be able to answer.

Tyler

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Montana:

Welcome to the forum!!

It would help us to help you if we knew where you are.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum Montana do your research first I agree with a Russin or a Hermanns but Leopards do not stay small:D

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
coreyc said:
Welcome to the forum Montana do your research first I agree with a Russin or a Hermanns but Leopards do not stay small:D

Sorry I thought they did, I don't know much about them yet :p

Tyler

moswen

5 Year Member
hey montana! nice to have you. and nice to see someone who does their research before they buy! i'm no experienced RF keeper, but they seem to be able to eat almost everything you do, tomatoes, greens, worms (lol, not that you eat those, they're just easy to acquire), and they seem to be a pretty hardy species. the most proclaimed "hardiest" species, the russian, stays rather small and seems to be the most resilient, although i bet with you as a mommy he may not have to draw on those reserves! i would also suggest a greek or a hermanns, as greens are relatively inexpensive and that's what they eat. they also stay mediocre-ly (is that even a word lol?) smallish.

welcome!

oh, and i too used to indulge in those turtle-collecting past times... i used to think i was "saving" them lol! you most likely were finding ornate box turtles and 3-toed box turles. lots of ppl on the forum keep boxies, although i wouldn't suggest you keeping one. if they're native to where you live they're usually illegal to keep as pets!

montana

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies I live in Montana up by the Canadian border not far from Idaho .. Right now I don`t think it will ever thaw out .. Is there such a thing as a dwarf tortoise ?? What are some of the more exotic breeds ... What do the experts think are way cool ...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Egyptian is not very well-known in the pet trade. And they are pretty small. I can't remember if its Testudo Kleinmani or Geochelone Kleinmani.

montana

5 Year Member
I looked them up [the Egyptian] That was what I was looking for .. small colorful ..The site I checked out they were a grand each .. The other one I liked was almost three grand .. I will most likely have to start out with something cheaper..That`s why I am here tho is to learn ..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The most common small tortoise is the Russian (Agrionemys horsfieldii). They are very hardy tortoises and quite forgiving of the new tortoise keeper's mistakes. They are personable and active. You can probably buy a Russian tortoise for around $50. There are some folks here on the forum who breed and sell them. If you look back through some of the past "for sale" threads you will find them.

Greek (Testudo Graeca) is another small tortoise. And a very pretty tortoise too. there are several sub-species and I'm not familiar with Greeks, so I'll just leave it at that.

You might also want to check out the Hermann's tortoise (Testudo Hermanni).

Good luck and keep us informed. We're interested and nosy. :D

montana

5 Year Member
I have been surfing the site and web ... You know I know nothing about turtles !! The Hermanns tortoise seams to have a small variety .. I would like to have several and do the egg thing tho as it sounds one tortoise sounds excessive.. Small ones with the classic tortoise build ... Russians would be cool they just arn`t real pretty tho ..It will take a while to digest all this ... During the summer I have acres of woods fields and creeks here at the cabin but it isn`t Florida and it can get into the low forty`s tho fifty`s are more the norm at night .. Newbee question can they be kept togeather or do they require separate enclosures ...I used to keep snapping turtles together..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can keep tortoises of the same species together if they're close in size, but different species require separate habitats.

Status
Not open for further replies.