New Torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedorr

5 Year Member
Hi,

Recently "inherited" 2 small what I believe are Desert Tortoises. They came from a breeder in Parker AZ and I think are between 1 and 2 years old. They are the same age I think and I assume are from the same egg clutch (is that the right terminology?). One is about 2 inches and the other substantially smaller looking at about an inch and a half(? (haven't measured)). They spent about the last year living in a shoebox but with regular trips outside during the day. Upon getting them, we put them in a 10 gal terarium, but quickly found thru our research that they need something larger and need to spend as much time as possible outside, so I'm in the process of building a 20" x 6' tort table. I'm kind of looking for whatever input anyone wants to throw out there regarding care and enclosures.

I'm somewhat knowledgable about herps. Have been in CA most of my life (50+ yrs) and have kept a few snakes and lizards at various times over the years. My brother was very involved in herpetology as a biologist and a dentist (not lizard teeth ;-)) and I accompanied him on some local desert expeditions and captures. I Live in Corona CA now.

I have an old photo somewhere where my Grandad back in the 1920s, who was a desert enthusiast since before then, in a Model T Ford out in the Mojave came across about a half a dozen Desert Torts probably about 6 or 7", and made a gag photo of hitching the Torts up to the Model T, he sitting on the bumber with crop in hand lashing the beasts of burden into a frothing frenzie (not!) to pull the car out of the sand. I get a chuckle out of the photo every time I see it.

We are quite excited to have these new charges and it should be fun to set up the new enclosure for them. We haven't really given new names to them yet. Any suggestions?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum, you have a very interesting store, thanks for sharing it..Would love to see that photo of your grandfather if you can find it..

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Ummm, if they are "Desert Tortoises" you cannot legally take them across State lines. You may have violated AZ and CA State laws as well as Federal laws.

Please post pictures so that we can ID them properly for you and give appropriate advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi sedorr:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

If you're not sure if you really have desert tortoises, we can help you i.d. them through a picture. Quite often people think they have desert tortoises but it turns out to be Russians or sulcatas. Since you got them from a "breeder" I'm inclined to think they are NOT desert tortoises, because it is illegal to breed them.

I thoroughly enjoyed your story, and would absolutely LOVE to see Grampa's picture. Can you scan it into the computer for us?

sedorr

5 Year Member
CGKeith said:
Ummm, if they are "Desert Tortoises" you cannot legally take them across State lines. You may have violated AZ and CA State laws as well as Federal laws.

Please post pictures so that we can ID them properly for you and give appropriate advice.

Who said I brought them over state lines? I said I "inherited" them, and I said they came from a breeder, but it was not me that got them from the breeder...

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
If they are desert tortoises, getting the proper documentation is usually easy if you don't have it already. I'm sure it's a great peace of mind to have it.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, please post pics, so you can verify the kind of torts. That way, the experts on this site can help advise you about the housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.