New tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilhobbit

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself and my new tortoise Shredder! (I think he is a Hermann but I'm not sure as Petsmart could not tell me. Hoping someone can help me identify what he might be). He is currently housed in a 40 gal long vivarium while I am in the process of building a 5'5''x 2' tortoise table. Already have the materials just doing it a little at a time. I manage to keep one part of his enclosure close or at 90 degrees farenheit and the other closer to 80. Humidity stays between 48-50%. Currently using coconut coir as the substrate but I plan on switching to top soil once the table is finished. We had a health scare intially as I made a rookie mistake and thought the noise he made when he pulled his head in (the weird little hiss) was wheezing a vet says everything is fine lol. Also the bowl in the picture of him was pushed on my by the lady at pet smart. It ended up staying in there for about 10 minutes before I replaced it with a clay flower pot bottom.

Attachments

• shredder.jpg
    shredder.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 62

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! He looks to me, to be a Russian tortoise.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Welcome! Nice looking Russian! :)

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Nice looking Russian Tortoise.Welcome to the forum!:D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Welcome! You have a handsome little Russian tortoise (horsfields tortoise) there. There is a very useful webpage that has information on proper diet etc. for these: www.russiantortoise.net :)

lilhobbit said:
Hello everyone! I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself and my new tortoise Shredder! (I think he is a Hermann but I'm not sure as Petsmart could not tell me. Hoping someone can help me identify what he might be). He is currently housed in a 40 gal long vivarium while I am in the process of building a 5'5''x 2' tortoise table. Already have the materials just doing it a little at a time. I manage to keep one part of his enclosure close or at 90 degrees farenheit and the other closer to 80. Humidity stays between 48-50%. Currently using coconut coir as the substrate but I plan on switching to top soil once the table is finished. We had a health scare intially as I made a rookie mistake and thought the noise he made when he pulled his head in (the weird little hiss) was wheezing a vet says everything is fine lol. Also the bowl in the picture of him was pushed on my by the lady at pet smart. It ended up staying in there for about 10 minutes before I replaced it with a clay flower pot bottom.

lilhobbit

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone!!! I'm happy to know what the little guy is now. I has actually wanted a Russian when I went to buy him and they told me they didn't have any lol. So I guess it all worked out! I love him to death already and I can't believe how much personality he has!

Status
Not open for further replies.