New tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesliechu17

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hull, United Kingdom
I have just got a tortoise and am needing help as I Have not had Internet for the past week and need a little bit of info.

Found this app for my iPhone and thought would be very useful, I have had a little look at info on my phone but am getting different answers to different things

I have got a 5 month old meditteranean marginated tortoise

The main things I want to know is:

1. How much and how often do I feed it?

2. How much light from a lamp does it need, like hours?

3. Can it come out of it's house an walk about because he's so cute?

4. How much water does it need?

5. When does is need to hibernate?

Like I said I've been doing things it says on the net, but I'm getting different answers and just want to make sure I'm looking after it properly!

Am planning to get a book and when I get Internet back research a lot more but these main things would be a great help! Thanks!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
lesliechu17 said:
I have just got a tortoise and am needing help as I Have not had Internet for the past week and need a little bit of info.

Found this app for my iPhone and thought would be very useful, I have had a little look at info on my phone but am getting different answers to different things

I have got a 5 month old meditteranean marginated tortoise

The main things I want to know is:

1. How much and how often do I feed it?

2. How much light from a lamp does it need, like hours?

3. Can it come out of it's house an walk about because he's so cute?

4. How much water does it need?

5. When does is need to hibernate?

Like I said I've been doing things it says on the net, but I'm getting different answers and just want to make sure I'm looking after it properly!

Am planning to get a book and when I get Internet back research a lot more but these main things would be a great help! Thanks!

First of, hello and welcome to the forum.

To be able to help you more we will need to know where abouts do you reside?
The food should be given once daily, if you havent got a garden the text book says the amount of food needed is the amount that will cover the caparace of the tortoise.

The lighting should be UVA/B the amount of hours should be the same as daylight, put it on a timer so that when the sunrises the light comes on and at sundown the light goes off.

When you say can he walk around! what exactly do you mean? if it is around the house,then it is not a good idea, they can accidently swallow a human hair that could damage the intestine, if its outside then yes as long as it is not too cold.

The tort should have water readily available whenever they want, it should be big enough to bathe in, but not enough to drown if they flip,
As long as it covers their bottom.

They do hibernate, but if its the first year with you it is best to overwinter them, Keep heating on at a steady temp and drop it slightly at night and adjust the lighting in conjunction of the sunlight.

Do not forget the calcium, this is very important along with a well balanced diet.

Could we see some pics?:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi lesliechu17:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Do we call you "Leslie?" And may we know where you are?

lesliechu17

5 Year Member
Hull, United Kingdom
Hi everybody, I'm doing this from my iPhone so I don't know how to change my profile whereabouts, and will post pictures ASAP, as I'm using only the app because I don't have Internet ATM.

Thank you for the nice welcome.

I am from Hull by the way! :)

Thank you for that long reply from bikerchicspain, it is a massive help! Been hearing and seeing so many different things from different sources!

Just a couple of questions to your reply,

1. When I say outside I meant a bit of both really, just double checking and everything! :)

2. Can you handle them a lot cause I hear they need a lot of attention if they don't have a friend, but one source I hear you can't really, and have to remember they are a watching pet and not a handling one?

3. When you say overwinter them, what do you mean?

4. What can you feed him? At the moment been feeding him water cress only as I have heard that he can't have iceberg lettuce this that and this, and heard he is allowed water cress! So want to make sure he's eating the right things and don't want him to get bored of the same food, so what else do I feed him? Like varieties, treats etc! Bought a massive tub of tortoise food when I got him to read majority of websites say definitely not! Haha!

5. Are there any things to watch out for in the first year of it being born?

Sorry for the long and stupid questions, sure you answer the same a lot, just want to make sure I'm looking after him right! It's the man! Haha!

Thank you for all your help and the nice welcome!

Leslie

Status
Not open for further replies.