New Sulcata Owner

kyle.e59

I purchased "Torty" Feb 14 for my first grade classroom. I have done some extensive research since the purchase and know that they can be a hassle in the classroom. My kids have been great and Torty has seemed to adapt to the new surroundings quite well. As of right now, I am just taking any advice or words of encouragement. I know that I will have plenty of questions later on!

I did not think that I would have such an attachment to a tortoise, but it has been a great start!

kyle.e59

It is tough to keep humidity around 60%. I have a 2-3 month old sulcata. I have been soaking his hide and soaking the substrate. Warm side us about 80 degrees and cool side is about 70. Do you have any tips for keeping humidity up?

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
Hi and welcome!
How are you housing your tort at the moment? And what will you do when he grows big?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
It is tough to keep humidity around 60%. I have a 2-3 month old sulcata. I have been soaking his hide and soaking the substrate. Warm side us about 80 degrees and cool side is about 70. Do you have any tips for keeping humidity up?

A sulcata is an unconventional choice for class pet because it likely won't be houseable in the class for long, but it'll be exciting to watch how fast it grows.

I recommend reading topics in the Sulcata section on the forum. This is a good starting point: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index....ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

Closed chambers (ie. no open lid) work well to maintain humidity. I wouldn't increase your humidity until you get your temperatures up though. 80F should be your cool end for this species. You need to bump up your temperatures overall. Young sulcata need it warm and moist, day and night. What are you using for night heat?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

kyle.e59

Thank you all! I will be making some new purchases tonight for Torty to get heat up.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Hi! i'm a little jealous that you have a sulcata tortoise. I initially wanted one but they grow too big for me and I don't believe I will be moving to a state that is warm all year round (though I would love to). My vet recommended using sphagnum moss to help with humidity but this needs to be changed ever few weeks or every month ( i cant remember which) to avoid bacteria and mold. They sell a decent size pack of this in pet store.