New russian and concerned

molucky21

I have my new tort in a pen with lower sides with bark substrate, her temps are about 85 with a basking light and a uv light for day and night is about 65-70. She hasnt eaten anything and just sits in one spot and doesnt move much. When I check on her last night she would only open 1 eye, I gave her a soak and she opened both eyes and was moving around more but then as soon as she was back in the pen she quit moving again. Any ideas wpuld help have only had her about 3 days

tort_luv_5055

Location (City and/or State)
New York (USA)
Tortoises take time to adjust to their habitats. Has she eaten, passed any feces, peed, urates, drinking water etc. How old is your tortoise? Did you get an adult or a baby?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Did you buy it from a pet store? If yes, your tortoise has had a long rough journey to get here.

A few things that might help:
1. 85 is not quite warm enough for a basking spot. Shoot for 95-100.
2. Soak your tortoise in warm water every morning for a couple of weeks. They are often dehydrated when they arrive. Use a tall sided, opaque tub for this. Shallow warm water, and replace the poopy water as needed. Put the tub somewhere warm and monitor the water temp throughout the 20-30 minute soak.
3. Take a fecal sample to a good reptile vet to ceck for common parasites.
4. What sort of UV bulb are you using? The coil types that the pet stores seem to push often burn reptile eyes. This could cause all the symptoms you describe.

molucky21

Ok I wasnt sure if I should soak her more than twice a week. It is a coil style bulb and yes I got her from petsmart they said they think she is about 2 years. She did use the bathroom when I soaked her last night. Thank you for all your help my husband and I will be getting her a better uv bulb and get her warmer and get a sample to the vet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because there is a national restriction on pet stores selling tortoises under 4" in length, I know for a fact that the Russian you've bought at a pet store is older than 2 years. A 2 year old Russian tortoise would be about 2-2.5 inches front to back. Your wild-caught Russian tortoise, purchased at a pet store, would be anywhere from 10 to 20 years old. The Russian tortoise is a small species and your tortoise probably won't get much bigger than it is right now.

Welcome to the Forum! You've come to a good place to learn the correct way to care for your new tortoise.

molucky21

Thank you tom and everyone I just want to make sure im doing things right and she is healthy we consider our pets our children and it breaks my heart to see her just huddled in a corner. I have noticed if I take her out of her pen and let her roam she is way more active

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That light bulb was probably the main source of your problem. Warmer basking temps and the removal of that light should help a lot. Keeping her soaked and hydrated for at least the next few weeks should help too.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Assuming you have a ceramic base for your fixture I think the Zoomed powersun 100w will be a good place to start. Gives all the UV you need plus the heat for basking.

Another option is a tube light for the UV and a old style flood light 75W for the basking spot.

In either case adjust height to maintain 95 degree basking spot.

Good luck.

molucky21

So if I get the first one ypu listed will she need a separate bulb for basking or will that do that too

And it one of the black dome type fixtures not sure if it is ceramic

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The Zoomed powersun 100w bulb will provide both heat and uv.