New red foot need help with enclosure

mojo_1

Location (City and/or State)
Saint Clairsville OH
Ahhhhh thank you. I didn’t know they don’t pass them but that’s why I wanted to ask right here since you all have been so great in helping me and I’ve learned a lot. I did give her hard boiled egg for the first time so that is probably the white stuff. I will keep an eye on it and will do the longer soaks.

By chance is there a guide on the average size for a red foot female on here? I feel like our girl is on the small side
An adult female can get up to 14 inches.
Mojo is 1 year old this month and is 10cm.

COmtnLady

Colorado
This is Yertie, an adult female Redfoot. When she found us I took a pic of her using a dollar bill for scale. At that time she was the length of bill, as you can see now she's more wide than it is long. We estimate her age now to be nine or ten. 'Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 0713231811a_Film2.jpg
    0713231811a_Film2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 0713231811_Film2.jpg
    0713231811_Film2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

ND135

Maryland
This is our first red foot tortoise and I’m still learning but I am having some trouble with her enclosure. I have read the beginners guide on here but I’m just wanting to be sure. Our tortoise is about 3 inches so she is still tiny. Starting yesterday she just burrowed and really didn’t eat and same with today. The enclosure does have an open top but I did close off the one side. On the other side I have her UVB light on and then switch that out for her ceramic light. The enclosure stays at about 80 day or night but humidity wise I can only get it to 70 and it drops pretty fast. I do have reptisoil as her substrate and some moss in her hides. I’ve been told different things such as the humidity doesn’t have to stay at 70, to much moisture will give her RI or make her sick and more. What are some ways I can fix this? Do I need different lights? How do I make this a closed enclosure and she still gets oxygen, etc. Please help
I use a T5 HO 5.0 UVB "tube" light. I use the ceramic heat emitters day and night as a T5 does not give enough heat. Mine is in front of a bay window so he gets plenty of natural light but needs the UV of course for proper growth and health. So I don't use a separate basking bulb.

Zeropilot and Alex the Redfoot give great advice!!! I've depended on them often.
I have used loosely tented aluminum foil over the top (and around light fixtures) to help maintain heat and humidity levels. The thermostat idea is a must when covering. Those heat emitters toss some serious temperatures. I have one on the way and I use a temperature gun to check various areas of the enclosure. Once I started covering with foil, I have not needed to keep all of the CHE on for as long and the fogger can turn off after the desired humidity level is reached.

I have mixed ALL NATURAL orchid bark (thanks to Zeropilot and Alex) with my EcoEarth coconut fiber substrate. I have not switched over 100% just because my Redfoot has only had coconut fiber from day one. So I'm bringing him along gently. These little souls do not like change. As babies they are afraid of everything. Be patient and consistent with your schedule and "socialization" when she gets bigger. It really helps.

Drop as many questions/thoughts you need. Its how we all learn!

HLG

Wisconsin
Kiwi is 7 months this month and is 8 cm. I was afraid she was not growing but it sounds about right thank you

HLG

Wisconsin
This is Yertie, an adult female Redfoot. When she found us I took a pic of her using a dollar bill for scale. At that time she was the length of bill, as you can see now she's more wide than it is long. We estimate her age now to be nine or ten. 'Hope that helps.
Thank you! Our red foot Kiwi is just 7 months this month and is 8 cm. I was worried maybe she wasn’t growing like she should but I think we’re in a good spot. Thank you for the pictures

COmtnLady

Colorado
He is so cool! And looks great!

Yert came to us bumpy, and it doesn't go away. (Positive spin on pyramiding - doesn't slip when I pick her up during a soak.)