New Red Foot - Clueless

Status
Not open for further replies.

summerlove29

10 Year Member!
I now have a red footed tortoise that was found on the property that I work. I have plenty of space in the backyard to make an enclosure but do not even know where to start. He is about 12-14" and his shell looks decent, the squares are cracking a bit so I know he needs nutirents. Any tips on building an enclosure for him? The ground is mostly dirt in the backyard by the way. (OR) anyone want to adopt a handsome new red foot?? Maybe someone else here could take better care of him than I can. :/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

First order of business is to post pictures so we can all be on the same page and be sure it IS a RF tortoise.

Next, you need to make fliers and post them on the utility poles around the neighborhood where the tortoise was found. It is very sad when people lose a tortoise they've invested a lot of time and affection into just to have it get lost because someone left a gate open (or whatever).

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Yvonne G said:
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

First order of business is to post pictures so we can all be on the same page and be sure it IS a RF tortoise.

Next, you need to make fliers and post them on the utility poles around the neighborhood where the tortoise was found. It is very sad when people lose a tortoise they've invested a lot of time and affection into just to have it get lost because someone left a gate open (or whatever).

I know that feeling

summerlove29

10 Year Member!
I am located in Southern CA. The owner of the tortoise came into the office and talked with me. It had been given to him a few months before and he said that he was always getting out. I was concerned about its safety so I asked questions and he ended up saying to keep him. I wanted a tortoise a few years ago so I did a ton of research back then and know a little but this was unexpected. I am a single mother of a teen and an 8 month old and work full time. As much as I really want to keep him, it is more important to me that he is properly cared for and loved. At least I think it's a male!ImageUploadedByTortForum1377146320.904044.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Wow...his shell is incredible. So smooth. You are very lucky to have him.

I'm new at raising redfoots, so I don't feel comfortable giving too much advice...hopefully someone will be along soon to help you out.

Have you given him a soak in warm water to hydrate him? Has he eaten anything? And check out the Enclosures section on here...there's a lot of great ideas for outdoor enclosures.

Good luck with this beauty! Does he have a name?

....I just realized this was posted in the enclosure section...hahaha. Sorry, I thought it was in the Redfoot section. :p

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
He looks very good. A very fortunate find for you.

He will make an extremely fine pet for you and your children. In time, you will think of him as part of the family.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
summerlove29 said:
I now have a red footed tortoise that was found on the property that I work. I have plenty of space in the backyard to make an enclosure but do not even know where to start. He is about 12-14" and his shell looks decent, the squares are cracking a bit so I know he needs nutirents. Any tips on building an enclosure for him? The ground is mostly dirt in the backyard by the way. (OR) anyone want to adopt a handsome new red foot?? Maybe someone else here could take better care of him than I can. :/

Nice looking animal! The Library, linked below, probably has articles and ideas for you to try if you decide to keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.