New outdoor area for Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tank the great

5 Year Member
Hey guys! Like I said before I'm a newbie with tortoises but I wanted to show you the outdoor area I set up for Tank. I live i Southern California so I figured I should try to take advantage of our weather as much as possible. The substrate is coco over soil and the plants are red lettuce and strawberry. (No berries, just leaves). One question though...I really want him to get some sun but the mornings are a little chilly. It's 68 right now at 1030am but in direct sun it feels great. Is that ok for him? What temp is too cold for him to be outside (even with sun) ? ImageUploadedByTortForum1380217257.208446.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tank the great

5 Year Member
Tanks a Sulcata and about 1.5 months old I believe. Just got em a week ago from the Anaheim Reptile show.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Your set up is nice. I try to avoid putting very young sulcatas outside as there primary habitat. Mainly in an effort to avoid temperature extremes since hatchlings can sometimes die or develop sicknesses from them. A more stable predictable temperature will help them better the first few months until some very noticeable growth takes place. I wait until they are at least 3-4 months old before giving them a few hours outside and I don't put them outside permanently until they are at least a year old and five inches in length.
I'm sure a few sulcata experts will chime in soon with more recommendations.

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
Looks good but I wouldnt put him outside to live until his about 8 months or a year old. Of course during the nice sunny days u can put him in that to get sun but bring him back inside. Its too cold nd his too little nd thoses wires should be a little smaller a bird looks like it can still get threw. If It gets to cold he culd hibernate. Nd his too little for that. So u want him nice nd warm inside

please and thank you

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Sulcata tortoises don't hibernate.

To answer one of your original questions, yes being in the sun on a 68F morning can be ok because they warm up past the ambient air temperature when in direct sunlight.
However it was a good point made that your young sully should only spend an hour or 2 outside right now. As he gains in size he can stay out longer and longer until he eventually lives outside full time :)

Sent from my TFOapp

Tank the great

5 Year Member
He loved the Red Lettuce I planted in this area btw. Went straight for it and starting tearing chunks off to eat. He's so rad!

ashleym

5 Year Member
Tank the great said:
He loved the Red Lettuce I planted in this area btw. Went straight for it and starting tearing chunks off to eat. He's so rad!

Mine loves red luttuce too. I think it's probably his favorite thing lol. I try to only give it to him on occasion, otherwise it's probably all he would eat.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nice enclosure.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
that nice enclosure you have made there is good to have him in when youre letting him outside to bask, this way youre not having to chase the little one around and keep him in a safe area. however, he will need to be indoors until at least a year old, some people wait even until 18 months or two years just to be really sure. what are the dimensions of this enclosure?

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Welcome to the forum. Asking is the best thing we can do to inform ourselves and take better care of out little ones.
I let my sully got out in her pen and also I love to watch her walk in my front yard but I watch out for hawks since here in San Diego we have some.

Tank the great

5 Year Member
His outdoor enclosure is about 4x4 and I only have him outside about an hour. If its too chilly I just skip that day. He loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.