New member with a question

musicbysterling

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
Hello
I'm Mark. My 17yr old son has a Russian Tortoise named Sheldon. We've had him for about 5 years. He was a runaway that somebody found and we were the fortunate ones to take ownership. There has been some disagreement in our household regarding Sheldon's substrate. We are using two sizes of coir with a little bit of Timothy hay on the surface. We used to keep the substrate moist, but because the on our latest visit to his vet, we were told that we should keep the substrate dry, even to the point of not having a container of water in it. I find this advice to be a bit concerning. We've been using this vet for the past 5 years and have had complete confidence in the wellness checkups we have every year.
So my question is how damp should we be keeping Sheldon's habitat? I have put a small water bowl in the warm side because my instincts tell me that I should be doing this.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

gg888

England
Hello
I'm Mark. My 17yr old son has a Russian Tortoise named Sheldon. We've had him for about 5 years. He was a runaway that somebody found and we were the fortunate ones to take ownership. There has been some disagreement in our household regarding Sheldon's substrate. We are using two sizes of coir with a little bit of Timothy hay on the surface. We used to keep the substrate moist, but because the on our latest visit to his vet, we were told that we should keep the substrate dry, even to the point of not having a container of water in it. I find this advice to be a bit concerning. We've been using this vet for the past 5 years and have had complete confidence in the wellness checkups we have every year.
So my question is how damp should we be keeping Sheldon's habitat? I have put a small water bowl in the warm side because my instincts tell me that I should be doing this.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I'm not an expert or anything, but I use orchard bark, and spray it lightly once a day with water. I also have a shallow water dish in my horsefield's basking area (which he likes to sit in). :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Your instincts are spot on. Water should always be available. I keep substrate moist for all of my tortoises. It is less messy and helps counteract the desecrating effects of heat lamps. High humidity though means to avoid illness, you have to keep them warm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mark, and welcome to the Forum!

(Best place for your Russian tortoise is outside. They do so much better in the 'real world.' Then when winter rolls around, they hibernate)

musicbysterling

5 Year Member
Seattle, WA
A little confused by your answer of keeping Sheldon outside. Seattle is generally overcast with chilly rainy winters. Keeping him inside in a habitat with a cool/warm combi is not the best idea?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Mark, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Sheldon!!!

AnimalLady

A little confused by your answer of keeping Sheldon outside. Seattle is generally overcast with chilly rainy winters. Keeping him inside in a habitat with a cool/warm combi is not the best idea?

You can definitely keep him indoors, although they thrive outdoors when the weather permits. I live in sunny humid South FL, my torts live outdoors 99% of the time...but only because the weather allows it. On nice and warm days you can take your tort outside for some rays, he'll love that :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Ideally, you would have a large well designed and safe enclosure both indoors and outdoors. Outdoors for the days with nice weather, indoors for the rest of the time.