New member...need help with tortoise!!

Ceri_jane

Hi, I was given a tortoise as a class pet. My school is in Cairo, Egypt. Iv been told that its an egytian tortoise but not sure. Also wondering how to tell how old he/she is??
Can anyone help.
Thanks. Ceri

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ceri:

Welcome to the Forum!

If you'll upload a couple pictures, topside and under side, we can give a good guess at the tortoise's age, and tell you what species it is.

Ceri_jane

Thank you. I wasnt sure what you needed to see.
Iv had him/her for around 6 months now, was very happy until the weather turned this weekend, now shes very slow and eating less.

Attachments

• 1387125529178.jpg
    1387125529178.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 1387125541065.jpg
    1387125541065.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 162

ShreksMom

5 Year Member
FL
Hi and welcome. I'll let the experts on here do the identifying.

Ceri_jane

Thanks.
Ita winter here now, and a very cold one...There was snow in some parta of Cairo over the weekend. Do I let him/her hibernate or should I try to keep her awake? If so how do I do this safely?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Ceri_jane, welcome to the forum. Best place ever for information. Your little tortoise is a diamond in the USA. A dream tortoise for many folks, not easy to get is my understanding. I am not an expert so let's wait for one to come around and help you. Your baby looks a tad dry, but it could be the picture. Do you give it warm water soaks every now and then? Again, welcome! : )

Ceri_jane

Since getting her iv been told shea very rare, I got her from a pet shop here in cairo, and didn't realise they were so rare!
Thanks for the advise about her (or him, im stil not sure) being dry, I will soak more often.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Soaking really helps. I learned about it here. I have two Golden Greeks from Jordan, and it worked like a charm to get them acclimated. It's like spa time, warm and cozy. One of our members, ascott ,calls it "to make them plump and juicy". Funny. Also, the experts have also said that if a tortoise is new to you, it might be best to not let it brumate/hibernate the first year in order to observe it and be sure of things, health-wise. Better safe than very sad. Which means keep its temperatures up and have the light on 12-14 hours a day to pretend the days are still long. We have a couple of experts on Egyptian tortoises and they will pop in soon to help you more, I am sure. Have you seen this article? http://www.tortoisetrust.org/guests/tortoisecare/species.html

Again, congrats on your little jewel. So precious! : )

Ceri_jane

I just gave Speedy (the children in my class named her) a soak, she loved it. She's just been moved home as its the school holidays so getting used to her holiday home. Looking forwarsd to spoiling her over the break,

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
You will learn a lot about Speedy during break once the expert keepers share their knowledge and then you can share with the children. Fun! And yay for Speedy loving spa time! Although tortoises are out in deserts, it has been noted that many species spend up to 90% of their time in shade, in burrows, under plant pallets which means humidity, so nature keeps them hydrated. Hydration is very important, I have found out. : )

Oh my goodness ... look at these awesome pictures! : )http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=tortoise egyptian