New leopard, help please (broken beak)

Tanker+poe

20160403_115113.jpg
Heres a better picture of his poor beak. Dont mind all the cococoir, hes never experienced it before and is having fun!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

The beak is overgrown and needs to be trimmed. That part that's loose can be cut off. The vet should do this for you. The reason it chipped like that is because the whole beak is overgrown. It will continue to happen until it gets trimmed back to where it is supposed to be.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh! That's a much better picture. Yes, the vet will have to trim that off for you. It has gone up into the growth area and will be painful to him. Every time it flexes it probably hurts a bit. I'm surprised he eats.

Tanker+poe

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

The beak is overgrown and needs to be trimmed. That part that's loose can be cut off. The vet should do this for you. The reason it chipped like that is because the whole beak is overgrown. It will continue to happen until it gets trimmed back to where it is supposed to be.

Thank you, I was so worried about my new little guy, I just want him healthy and happy!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
In the first pics his beak looked more bird shaped - must have been the angle, I'm sure the vet will do all he can to make it more comfortable for him. Poor thing - but he has you fighting his corner now so things are already better for him.

Tanker+poe

Now that im in his corner, ill I'll never leave! Its It's amazing how quickly you can love something.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Now that im in his corner, ill I'll never leave! Its It's amazing how quickly you can love something.
I know what you mean - I was just supposed to be a half way house for my tort but couldn't let him go, and almost 2 years on he rules the roost!!

Tanker+poe

Hello fellow tortoise lovers,

I'm not necessarily new to the forum, I have a russian tort named tanker- I've had him for 5yrs. Yesterday I rescued a tortoise from a very neglectful environment. The previous owner said he was a leopard tortoise, but im not certain anymore. Any thoughts? Btw hes 3 and about 6 1/2 inches.29891.png the first is a baby photo, and the second is a recent photo.

Attachments

• 20160403_122812.jpg
    20160403_122812.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Such a shame that they have neglected this beautiful little thing so badly.

Tanker+poe

Today I took Poe to the vet. She absolutely loved his cute little personality. She recommends leaving his fractured beak alone for now bc he would have to be sedated and she's not sure if his health is well enough. She also said that there is fibrous tissue keeping his fractured beak aligned. So with proper care, it should grow back fine. She said if he stops eating or it looks worse to come in and we will Dahl the procedure. The procedure would be just to place a wire through to connect his beak again. She said she's so glad he's in good care and other than calcium deficiency and the beak, he's beautiful!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Aw poor little Poe! Hopefully he will get strong enough soon to have the procedure.
Thanks for the update and let us know how he is getting on.