New Hingeback enclosure, Manouria enclosure, grazing boxes, and Box turtle enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
New Home's Hingeback enclosure

KristinasPictures101.jpg

KristinasPictures103.jpg

KristinasPictures104.jpg

KristinasPictures105.jpg

KristinasPictures106.jpg

Couple of the inhabitants

KristinasPictures107-1.jpg

KristinasPictures127.jpg

New hatchling Manouria enclosure

KristinasPictures135.jpg

KristinasPictures130.jpg

KristinasPictures129.jpg

New hatchling Box turtle enclosure

KristinasPictures134.jpg

The inhabitants

KristinasPictures120-1.jpg

KristinasPictures131.jpg

KristinasPictures132.jpg

Grazing boxes. These are tubs that are planted with all kinds of grasses, weeds, clovers, lettuces, collards, kale, mustard, edible flowers, just bunches of stuff. They work great for putting the babies out a few hours at a time.

KristinasPictures110.jpg

KristinasPictures114.jpg

KristinasPictures111.jpg

KristinasPictures112.jpg

KristinasPictures109.jpg

KristinasPictures113.jpg

KristinasPictures115.jpg

And a few random shots for the heck of it

Sullies

KristinasPictures116.jpg

Adult Redfoots. Male -

KristinasPictures108.jpg

and the three girls

KristinasPictures126.jpg

One of my Russians, Darya

KristinasPictures118.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Great herd you have looks like every one is happy getting there sun on:D

LindaF

5 Year Member
Wow you have so many and they all have nice enclosures. I thought that grazing bin was a great idea. I am going to have to steal your idea. I have the bin, now off to get some seeds......

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Kristine, great enclosures. Especially like the round one, so pretty. Wish I had enough room for that many torts :cool:. I also made a grazing box similar to yours. Because of the large birds around my house, my husband cut out the center of the lid and replaced it with screening. The lid snaps on, securing the screening, and lets the sun in. That way she is safe while grazing outside. I still keep a close eye on her though. She loves eating the grasses and motoring around. I bought a "tortoise grazing seed mix" online and it grows really fast.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I use a mix that I got from my local feedstore that is a wildlife pasture grazing mix. I got 5lbs for $15 and they just love it.

The only thing I worry about with the plastic boxes is that with the lid on, even with the center cut out, they can get really hot inside. You have to keep a close eye out for dehydration and heat stroke, especially with tiny babies.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Great pics Kristina. Do you bring all of your torts in at night? Or do you cover your enclosures somehow? You must have some decent size predators to worry about in MI right?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I bring the babies in, but the adults I leave out. We live in a heavily populated area, so we don't have too many predators running around. I also have a dog and a hotwire fence.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
heavily populated areas can have just as much wildlife... and of course birds are everywhere..

love the round cinder block one.. for people who say they have no carpentry skills.. that is perfect! None needed!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Kristina...I love all of your enclosures! Question: What are the dimensions of you HH enclosure? Is that a converted planter?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I think both my Sullies are going to be real lookers when they are full grown. The bigger one was actually one of the blondest babies I have ever seen. It is crazy to me that my Russians are probably around 10 years old, and my Sullies are just shy of 6 months and almost as big as the Russians!

Dean - Nope, not converted, I built that one from scratch :) It is 13 1/2' long and 4' wide.

I purposely make all my enclosures look like flower beds and gardens - it was the only way I could get my housing commission to agree to let me build the outdoor pens. So, basically they are just flower beds - with tortoises in them, lol.

Thanks everyone!

SavannanSpike

5 Year Member
Trenton ohio
Looks great! I love the circle one! I might just copy! ;) I been looking for more good ideas for mine! Thanks for sharing!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You are welcome :)

There is another member here that has some round pens for her box turtles, I'll try to dig up the thread.

Well I found the thread but the pics are missing, I sent her a PM asking her to post them up again ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.