New from New Hampshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

grasspack

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Hello

My name is Alice and my daughter(Hannah, age 9) and I are just starting our search for a wonderful tort to add to our family. We have actually been researching for years but wanted to wait till the time was right. And we think it is now. We are interested in Hermanns, Greeks, and Russians. Those seem to be the ones that interest us the most. We have spent hours and hours reading this site and actually fight over the computer so we can read through the old posts:) I bought another chair so we could both sit here comfortably and now we argue over who gets to run the mouse:) We are located in NH. I have three kids total, ages 20, 18, and 9. The older two are in college:) I have been happily married 23 years to a wonderful man that puts up with my animal obsessions:) We currently have 4 dogs(a 13 year old golden, a 9 year old border collie(rescue), a 13 year old toy poodle, and a 1 year old sheltie.) We also have two cats(one is a 17 year old Devon Rex and a 4 year old Maine coon). And we have a wonderful bearded dragon named Peace that is the neatest wonderful little guy ever. Sorry for such a long intro...didn't mean to keep rambling. So glad to be here.

Alice and Hannah Rose

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello Alice and Hannah :) Welcome to the TFO :) It's great that you are doing your research before getting a tort :) if you have any questions ask away.

LindaF

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! It is great that you will soon add a tortoise to that list of pets! Husbands that put up with animal obsessions are great people.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
LindaF said:
Welcome to the forum! It is great that you will soon add a tortoise to that list of pets! Husbands that put up with animal obsessions are great people.

I have to add the wives are great to putting up with the husbands :p I know mine is :D

grasspack

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Thanks for the welcomes....I forgot to add we also have a little lineolated parakeet. He is a sweet little guy. His name is John. I feel guilty that I forgot him:)

Yes, husbands that put up with our "animal obsessions" are a god send:) Mine just keeps smiling:) I think he is happy that I no longer have horses...so what are a few little dogs, cats, and a reptile or two?:)

Thanks again,

Alice and Hannah

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Alice:

Its really nice to meet you and Hannah after such a long time lurking. I think that Hannah might be our youngest member. You'll have to set her up with her own account so we know when we're talking to her and not you.

Welcome to the forum!! You've chosen a great little tortoise (any one of the three) to have as a first tortoise. My preference is Russian, but the Greek and Hermann are pretty close in temperament and ease of care.

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Welcome, Hannah and Alice! I'm sure whatever tort you find will be well-loved.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Welcome! Great to have you here. Sounds like you're a real animal lover like the rest of us. :)

grasspack

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I am a real animal lover. I love being home surrounded by critters:) I also feel very lucky to be able to be home full time, so then I get lots of time to spend with them. It is weird, but I love cleaning cages, grooming dogs, and loving everyone. It is my therapy:) I am so glad I found this friendly group of people.

Also I have a quick question...and I am not sure which forum it should go in....

What is the best way to find a russian, greek, or hermanns? Should I run a "want ad"?

Thanks so much...
If anyone has any available feel free to pm me.
I am open to a rescue also...I have checked and rechecked craigslist....and a few other places.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Welcome Alice and Hannah...I saw a cpl. tortoises on the Nh. CL not long ago.Might be a good place to start looking anyhow.

Wezzer

5 Year Member
Pontefract, UK
Welcome to both of you! I joined the forum a few days ago as my mum owns a tort and i am eager to learn more about them. This is a great forum to be on and you will learn lots about all the different torts. My mum owns a Hermann :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Look on the online classified's like craig's list and kijiji and kingsnake, etc. You can also look at past "for sale" ads here on the forum to see which of our members breeds the kind of tortoise you're looking for then send them a PM to see if they have any for sale. If you haven't had a tortoise before, I think it would be better for you to buy one that is over 6 months of age.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Hi to both of u welcome to the forum, I own a Hermann's named Shelby and have quiet a few other pets too my hubby put up with alot lol. My Daughter is called Kerry (Wezzer) and is learning about caring for Shelby to help me and one day inherit her/him. You came to a great forum with lots of experts and great info, and we are one big happy family

kimby37

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hi, I don't know where you live in NH but we almost bought a Hermann's tortoise at Zoo creatures in Plaistow. We wanted to get one for my 13 year old daughter for x-mas(a few weeks before so we could get it all set up). We decided after seeing them and doing tons of research to get one. We went back up but they were all sold and gone. Thy said they would be getting more in. If your close maybe you could call or look in there. We ended up buying ours on line from Florida and had him shipped over night via fed-ex. We love him to death.

8y5kjl.jpg

grasspack

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Thanks everyone...so glad to be here. I check craigslist and kijiji daily but nothing yet. I found one in Mass, but the guy wanted a lot of money for her. She was 10 years old(he thinks). I may go look at her this weekend, not sure yet. She comes with her entire ensemble. Not sure if it is a correct ensemble, but it is what she is used to. Thanks again. I will keep checking the for sale ads here also.

Gorgeous photo kimby37....I could just kiss that little face:)

kimby37

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
grasspack said:
Thanks everyone...so glad to be here. I check craigslist and kijiji daily but nothing yet. I found one in Mass, but the guy wanted a lot of money for her. She was 10 years old(he thinks). I may go look at her this weekend, not sure yet. She comes with her entire ensemble. Not sure if it is a correct ensemble, but it is what she is used to. Thanks again. I will keep checking the for sale ads here also.

Gorgeous photo kimby37....I could just kiss that little face:)
Thank you he has (my daughter thinks it is a he) great coloring we were definitely satisfied when we got him in his little box from Florida. His little personality is starting to shine. So glad we decided to get a tortoise. Although i think i drive my boyfriend crazy because i'm obsessed with reptiles now. Oh well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.