New friend- Russian Tort :)

Justyna

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hi everyone. My name is J and I recently got a 7 year old Russian Tort named Lily from an old friend. I keep her in a pen filled with soft coconut fiber. I keep it a little moist and feed her once daily (different greens everyday) and soak her for 20 minutes every 2 days. I let her roam outside when it's warm and if it's cooler then my room is a nice place to walk around too. I'm not sure what to do about her nails and if I should even worry about her little snout (she should trim that herself right?). She is always going into corners though..why?! Also I know I'm a new face in her life but will the hissing ever stop? ANY help and feed back would be appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• Snapchat-201404250421291.jpg
    Snapchat-201404250421291.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Snapchat-201404250530451.jpg
    Snapchat-201404250530451.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Snapchat-201404250532091.jpg
    Snapchat-201404250532091.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 31

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello J and Lily. Welcome to the forum.

If you let her go outside more often if the weather permits, the rough floor and ground will wear off some of her nails. Russian love to dig too so you need to make sure you have a high security/escape proofed outdoor enclosure, otherwise they can be gone just a second.

For roaming indoor, that is not a really good idea, people walk around and may not notice there is a slow moving rock on the floor, is is dangerous for human and tortoises.

Tortoise will hissing not because you are new to her. It is very normal they do that. When you pick them up, they got a little scared so they retracted into their shell and push the air out of their lungs. They love you, no worries.

Other than that I think you did your home work before you received her and you did a good job in my opinion.

Justyna

Chicago
Hello J and Lily. Welcome to the forum.

If you let her go outside more often if the weather permits, the rough floor and ground will wear off some of her nails. Russian love to dig too so you need to make sure you have a high security/escape proofed outdoor enclosure, otherwise they can be gone just a second.

For roaming indoor, that is not a really good idea, people walk around and may not notice there is a slow moving rock on the floor, is is dangerous for human and tortoises.

Tortoise will hissing not because you are new to her. It is very normal they do that. When you pick them up, they got a little scared so they retracted into their shell and push the air out of their lungs. They love you, no worries.

Other than that I think you did your home work before you received her and you did a good job in my opinion.

Thank you so much! I didn't realize the hissing was more natural so that is good to hear :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Welcome!
Her nails should wear down with digging and walking around. It is hard to see exactly from the picture, but I think her beak could use a trim. Do you have a local reptile vet (sometimes dog and cat vets don't have experience with tortoises)?
She is going into corners because 1) everything is new and she has to learn to feel safe) and 2)because the like to burrow, and find places to do this.

kezilulu

I love my Russian too, you'll have hours of fun just watching her they're really cute lol
xXx

Justyna

Chicago
Welcome!
Her nails should wear down with digging and walking around. It is hard to see exactly from the picture, but I think her beak could use a trim. Do you have a local reptile vet (sometimes dog and cat vets don't have experience with tortoises)?
She is going into corners because 1) everything is new and she has to learn to feel safe) and 2)because the like to burrow, and find places to do this.
I'm sure I can find a reptile vet. I always thought that when she was digging at the corner, she wanted out p:

Jodilee

Welcome J I too am a newbie with an inherited 8 year old Russian. So far I have been helped a lot. There is an info sheet on this forum that tells you all you need to know about Russians I have printed it out and put it on the inside of a cupboard door for quick reference.

Jodie and Origami

Justyna

Chicago
Welcome!
I'm sure I can find a local vet but wouldn't her beak shorten if she eats off a concrete slate?

Justyna

Chicago
Welcome J I too am a newbie with an inherited 8 year old Russian. So far I have been helped a lot. There is an info sheet on this forum that tells you all you need to know about Russians I have printed it out and put it on the inside of a cupboard door for quick reference.

Jodie and Origami
I am for sure going to try and find that sheet!!