New adopted russian.

Oyundarip

Hi, greeting from Mongolia. I adopted 2 female russian they were in so poor care, eventhough I, myself isnt that knowledgeable about tortoises at least I know they need uv light, good hydration, and balanced diet. But from Mongolia its hard to find UV light and heating lamp. so if anyone can recommend me which product should I choose? Ofc market that ships overseas, would be nice.
And seems like they didnt get enough clacuim from their diet its affecting their shell, guess? So what should I do? I found about cuttle bone, is it useful?
Also please give me advice about their food, right now its spring in here so no new plants just veggies, I wanna plant flowers they eat so if possible please be kind and advice me about this.. :)

Thank you! Sorry for my crappy english. I hope I can make everything better for them.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
:tort:A very warm welcome to the forum.

You can read caresheets or wait for advice from the experience members. (Sorry: I cannot be of help here).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and a very warm welcome to you from Sunny California!!

Good for you to adopt the two tortoises and give them a better life. We have a good care sheet, written by one of our members, Tom, pinned at the top of our Russian section here on the Forum. Be sure to read it.

Your russian tortoises are browsers. They eat broad-leaf weeds and plants. Very many of the weeds that grow outside are edible for them.

And your English is just fine. Don't worry about it.

This is the Mercury Vapor Bulb that I like to use:

MVB.jpg

DO NOT BUY THIS KIND OF UVB BULB:

CFL.jpg

Can you shop online at amazon.com? That's where I buy my bulbs from.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the forum. What makes you think theirs something wrong with their shell? Is there anyway to can provide photos? Are they active?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Cuttle bone is great. You can also put just a pinch of calcium powder on their food twice a week. Congrats on your new tortoises. As already stated the care guide in the Russian section is very helpful.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Oyundarip and welcome to Tortoise Forum.
You've come to the right place, I know that this is the best up to date information on tortoise care in the world.
Cuttlefish bone is useful as an extra source of calcium, but remember calcium can only be absorbed if they get enough uv. Some torts won't touch it so scrape a little onto their food a couple of times a week.
The modern belief is that lack of humidity causes shell growth problems like pyramiding, but you need to post photos of the tortoises and enclosure so we can see them and their set up if that is possible for you.
Look also at the tortoisetable.org to find if the plants in your area are good. Many broad leafed greens are best.
Your English is better than some native English speakers I know (except the word crappy which I dislike), so don't worry about that or asking questions. You are most welcome.