Nesting question

mrscornsnake

I have two females that keep trying to lay eggs. They dig there hole and lay but the others eat the eggs. I've treys moving the females while they are digging but every time I try to put them in a "egg pen" they get mad and stop. I was told (by Internet) to put the female in a dirt or sand box with warming light for 10-30 min when she seems to be doing the most digging. But it never works for me she gets made stops and then just lays the eggs when I'm not home and the others eat them.

mrscornsnake

Well the issue with that is there are 8 in total and I do t have anywhere to put all of them comfortable enough. My hubby said we should try to like put up a barrier on her end of the landing might that work.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Do you think they're fertile? Mine lay eggs in the water, and eat them themselves, and I was advised they probably weren't because they were being laid in water.
Barrier might work. Why don't you move them after they've been laid? Unless it happens when you're not around.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Make a circle out of chicken wire and pound it into the ground around the nest so the other turtles can't get to it. (Sort of in the shape of a chimney)

Last edited:

mrscornsnake

I plan on taking them out but it always happens when I'm not home or in bed. I only find the after mess . They lay on the ground not in the water. She has been known to dig right through the platform we changed the ground to rock creat we plan on making a beach sand area just haven't gotten that far yet. Then our filter pooped out on us so we have been working on that so I watch her every day trying to dig a whole and I worry

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
What species are we talking about? There are only a small percentage of turtles that would lay eggs where they could easily be found by other turtles, if in fact they are fertile and are being buried appropriately.