Need help winterizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

chill8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington, Texas
My outdoor enclosure is about 4 ft x 8 ft. I have insultated it, I have caulked it, I have a 75 watt ceramic heater and a 50 watt uva/uvb light, I have ordered some heating ropes for the ground . I guess I overestimated my efforts because the enclosure is 60 degrees right this morning which is the same temp as outside. I am definetly not ready for winter.I need to make some epic changes to get the temps up. Do I need some kind of industrial heating device ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi chill8:

(Did we ever learn your name?)

Usually folks only "winterize" the shed/house, not the whole habitat. Can we see a picture of what your talking about so we can give better advice?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Are you talking about this enclosure from this thread?
attachment.php

chill8

5 Year Member
Arlington, Texas
Its Chad.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Juvenile-Enclosure#axzz1aILWOrFK
I will take the "Remodeled" pics after it stops raining here.
So the covered side i pulled off the wood I had on there and put some thick wood on, then I put a layar of insulation, then I put another board over that. I guess at the mininum if I am going to use something like this for winter I will need to put it in the garage.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Here is something you might try .......I too have a large " hut" approx. 10x10. Its kept heated in winter to 60' ish +, but Within that hut is also heated Hides....the largest being 3x7. These are maintained at 78-85 during the winter months. This concept helps with a few things. One the room ambient room temp at 60's allows for a warm but still a "cool area" within the hut if the torts want to cool off.... without going outside when it's 40*, second the smaller hides within the " hut" stay consistent at higher temps with lower wattage , thus saving some coin on electricty while providing the warmth your torts are after. I myself have different thoughts when it comes to heat ropes , tapes or mats. I just dont use them for various reasons..Which I wont go into detail unless asked. Sounds like you have done everything else right on key .....and if need be the quickie for you is go to a higher wattage element untill you decide.

Happy Tort~N

JD~:)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
chill8 said:
So make a small box within the box, with its own heat source ? That makes sense

yuppers ! .....:p

reneereichert

5 Year Member
Sacramento Area
I use a 150 watt CHE, as well as a low temp out door kennel heat pad, I tried less than that and it just wasnt enough to get the temps around 80. What kind of torts are you heating? Good Luck!

chill8

5 Year Member
Arlington, Texas
reneereichert said:
I use a 150 watt CHE, as well as a low temp out door kennel heat pad, I tried less than that and it just wasnt enough to get the temps around 80. What kind of torts are you heating? Good Luck!

Two Sulcatas both 1 year old

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You could try covering the open area, at least partway, with some twin wall polycarbonate or plexiglass. True, UV transmission will be cut down, but if they get a lot part of the year, they should do OK. And you would be extending their season outside, where torts seem to like it the most.
The smaller heated hide within the enclosure is a great idea.
Some use a large dog house or Rubbermaid storage box that they insulate and use a CHE or similar to heat. If you stick it right up against the run, you can cut matching doors and use some clear carpet runner (by at home supply/hardware stores by the foot) tacked to the door with strips cut into it, to help hold the heat in.
Greenhouse supply sites sell insulation, both clear and foil backed. Check out Charley's Greenhouse, they ship.
That way they can venture out and then go back in to warm up.

chill8

5 Year Member
Arlington, Texas
lynnedit said:
You could try covering the open area, at least partway, with some twin wall polycarbonate or plexiglass. True, UV transmission will be cut down, but if they get a lot part of the year, they should do OK. And you would be extending their season outside, where torts seem to like it the most.
The smaller heated hide within the enclosure is a great idea.
Some use a large dog house or Rubbermaid storage box that they insulate and use a CHE or similar to heat. If you stick it right up against the run, you can cut matching doors and use some clear carpet runner (by at home supply/hardware stores by the foot) tacked to the door with strips cut into it, to help hold the heat in.
Greenhouse supply sites sell insulation, both clear and foil backed. Check out Charley's Greenhouse, they ship.
That way they can venture out and then go back in to warm up.

As of right now I have the covered side boarded up from the outside, I have a small hole that I can open up on nice days to the outside part of the enclosure. Thanks for the ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.