Need help from Breeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gran Pulse
CLMoss said:
Hi, Nice little hatchling! I would get rid of those hides... My hatchlings like to crawl up anything they can and the sides of those hides are a great place for her/he to try to climb and flip. Also the ridge of the food bowl... I use a paper plate for their food and for a hide, sides that don't slope. Regarding a soak: I soak my hatchlings until they poop. I keep on changing the water to keep it warm. This is done in the morning before they eat. This is my way of starting their day; warm water soak, drink and poop and then time to eat. Note that my Star's were younger than yours when I received them... If you got her/him from an american breeder your Star should do really well. Don't be afraid. Also, Stars are just as beautiful as Burmese Stars. Just enjoy this lovely gift of having a Star. I can pm a culture sheet that my breeder provided for me when I receive my hatchlings if you are interested. Good luck, C

She isn't much of a hider (yet) but I see your point. I did away with the food dish a few days ago (she couldn't get in and out on her own) She now has a terra cotta (spelled right?) very small bowl.. She can't find her food so I place her in it a few times a day. Sometimes, she eats sometimes she doesn't. I do soak her once in the morning and once in the late afternoon/early evening. I don't mist her. It scares her soooo bad. I have a peat moss hide but she doesn't care anything about it. I put her in it and she rushes out. She is stubborn. I would love your hatchling culture sheet please! I hear all these horror stories of them not making it and it terrifies me. Thanks!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Vishnu2 said:
In my last reply to this posting I spoke with my heart instead of my brain (which explains the edit) . I am going to refrain from commenting Neal. All, I will say is I disagree with your statement. Thanks.

That's perfectly fine to disagree, though it leaves me a little confused. I hope we don't have a misunderstanding. If there is a concern with my statement, I would be happy to discuss and clarify in a PM.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I emailed you the culture sheet. Don't worry about your hatchling, she/he will do just fine. I was really worried about having to care for such a small hatchling also. And ask lots of questions! We are all here for you.

Claudia

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Claudia,
What do you feed yours? How big are yours now? I am having trouble finding some of the list of the foods people have suggested. I am in Colorado. Also, how often do you take yours outside? Mine doesn't seem to like the sun, it seems to hurt her little eyes. Also, do yours eat frozen peas? I was told to give her peas. Thanks for all your help. You're appreciate.

Oh!! I got the email! Thank YOU!!!

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I hope that the culture sheet answers some of you questions. Regarding peas & corn: I would only give h/s one as a treat, maybe once a month. I think that they are too high in protein. Stay with the leafy green vegetables and no friut. Out-of-doors, only if you can provide a cool shaded area with some sunlight (which seems hard for me to do). I would watch her/him so that h/s does not get overheated. Also flipping is a big concern to me, some members have lost their tortoises due to a flip. My Stars are still very little, Becky was hatched on Nov. 21, 2011 and River was hatched (I think) Feb. 17, 2012 (I have to check my records). Both were about three weeks old when I picked them up. Very tiny, but so cute!

Neal, please chime in with more info.

C

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I've been sharing some info via PM with Vishnu, but I'll relate some of that here on the open forum with regards to diet.

Spring mix is good, keep offering it for however long she will eat it. Other good choices for stars:

Grocery store greens: Romaine Lettuce, Carrots are good in moderation (indian stars REALLY love carrots), escarole, mustard greens, turnip greens, kale is OK once in awhile.

Weeds, plants, and trees: hibiscus leaves and flowers, fresh grass (too many varieties to mention) grape leaves, mulberry leaves, fig leaves and fruit, mallow, dandelion.

Search around the forum...there are so many good food options. A varied diet is very beneficial for the tortoise.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Thanks guys so much! I really do appreciate everyone's input. Good to know about the Kale. I read that pumpkin was okay so I offered her some. She adores it. I didn't give her much! Oh and by the way, she found her food bowl all by herself. YAY!!! I love her so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.