Need Advice (about breeding)

Harry65

5 Year Member
Good day everyone, I'm following this forum for about two years now. I enjoyed reading and gathered much needed information from this forum. I have two radiatas which I learned just yesterday ( 01 Jan 2014 ) that they are a pair. They just mated two times on that day. Kindly advise if this is enough to fertilize the eggs.
Thanks. By the way I'm from Cebu, Philippines.

Kind regards

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
RE: Need Advice

Hi and welcome! Yes, it could be enough. However are you sure they actually did breed and are actually a male and a female? Two males or two females will also appear to breed each other. It might be helpful to take pictures to let us see, if you do have an actual pair.

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
Re: Need Advice

Wow a fellow pinoy, hope they are really a pair, may friend rads are both 14" and he thinks both are females, but a few months ago both of them flashes there penis, have you seen your torts penis during he mounting? Post some pics of plastron and tail parts, size info

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

When you take pictures, we'll need to see the undersides of both tortoises, including the tails.

Harry65

5 Year Member

Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! Yes, it could be enough. However are you sure they actually did breed and are actually a male and a female? Two males or two females will also appear to breed each other. It might be helpful to take pictures to let us see, if you do have an actual pair.

Thanks much to your reply. I'm not really sure if they are a pair but before the mating happened the suppose male was doing the premating ritual which it tried to over turn the suppose female and making sound which was only heard during that time.
A video was taken from a phone but it's not clear, it was almost dark at that time.

Kind regards

Harry65

5 Year Member

Wow a fellow pinoy, hope they are really a pair, may friend rads are both 14" and he thinks both are females, but a few months ago both of them flashes there penis, have you seen your torts penis during he mounting?

Good day, my rads are about 12" long and I did not witnessed the mating. I'll try to post some pics of their plastron later. A few months before, I noticed that they have the same notches.

Harry65

5 Year Member

Yvonne G said:
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

When you take pictures, we'll need to see the undersides of both tortoises, including the tails.

Thanks, I'll try to post some photos.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
May I know how big are they? How long you have them? Are they always kept in the same enclosure? is this indoor or out door enclosure?

Looking forward to your pictures. Thank you for sharing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You might have two males and one is telling the other to get out of his territory. If this is the case you might need to separate them. If its a male with just a single female, you might need to keep them separate most of the time too, or the female will get no peace. The chronic stress could eventually kill her.

Harry65

5 Year Member
Hi, finally got some photos of my Rads. The first photo is Piper my assumed male. He has concave plastron and a much longer tail than his mate. The second is photo is Jordan my assumed female. She has a flat plastron and a shorter tail.
They are kept in an outdoor enclosure measuring about 6 x 1 mtrs. I have them for about 4 years and both measured 12" long.
Thanks for the heads up everyone.

Attachments

• 1533406_10202978544933396_487935454_n-1.jpg
    1533406_10202978544933396_487935454_n-1.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 82
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 578973_10201164900957571_1496516299_n.jpg
    578973_10201164900957571_1496516299_n.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 85

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
Very nice, hope they are a pair, i get one hatchling if ever, and if ever i can afford one..but am from Manila.. Lets wait for the experts to verify the sex, have you tried soaking them in warm water them after pooping check you assume male if he flushes he' s pennis, my 7" redfoot always fushes he' s pennis after pooping, just wait after he finish pooping, lift him carefully, if something is still out in the anus its a sure male

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never sexed radiated tortoises, but it does look like you have a male and a female. Very nice-looking tortoises, and your habitat is nice too.

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
" You can soak the tortoise and massage its tail, and hold it like you are and see if it will flash. Radiata is very tough to sex. Even at this size." This tip is from tortadise, a breeder, a few months ago when i post for my friend to sexed he' s tort