Nails

heidi250273

Shelvy's nails have got fairly long. He has a rough area in his enclosure which I thought would help keep them trim. He actually needs them cut now. I have a very small pair of nail clippers, the type you would use on a baby. How much needs nipped off, how do I know how much to take off, do they have a vein in their claws like dogs etc? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises seem to have longer nails than other types of tortoise. I wouldn't worry about it.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
If it bothers you, then let the tort walk around on a cement foor.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
It is pretty normal for a Russian tortoise to have longer nails than other tortoise species. They spend a high percentage of their lives digging, and so they need to use them like little rakes. If you have outdoor space for your tortoise, then the nails will wear down naturally once it's warm enough for him to go outside.
Otherwise, a daily chase across the cement driveway will help wear them down. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes they have a blood and nerve supply in their nails, so if you do decide to trim them, be careful and have quickstop on hand and ready BEFORE you cut.

Can you post a pic?