Mystery Cocoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I think this has been hanging in this tree since last fall, but I didn't notice it until a few days ago, a small bird was hanging on it and trying peck a hole in it. Today it was swinging in the breeze and spinning around as it went back and forth. On the close up pic you can see a leaf that was used to help make it. Do any of you have any idea whats inside ? Len

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
That was my thought too Corey. I have seen similar looking cocoons in my wood line and was told it was a type of spider so I did not investigate further.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
How far up in the tree is it? You could try to shine a strong flashlight on it at night and see what creepy crawly outlines you get ..

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
How far up in the tree is it? You could try to shine a strong flashlight on it at night and see what creepy crawly outlines you get ..

She makes fun of my flashlights, but oh boy are they handy! :cool:

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Robert said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

She makes fun of my flashlights, but oh boy are they handy! :cool:

Nerd.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
It's about 7 ft up, I just tried the flashlight an can't see through it. I didn't know spiders made cocoons like this, have never seen any large spiders here at the beach but have a lot of black widows, they are everywhere and I can't bring myself to kill them,just try to remember where they are when I find them or move them if they are in a spot where someone else could get bit.Len

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
maggie3fan said:
FernandoM said:
A sulcata???

OMG! That's just what we need, Sulcata falling from trees...Look out below!

Ok that was so funny I tried to stifle my laugh but instead I snorted and woke up my hubby! I'm still cracking up!

Status
Not open for further replies.