My two new sulcatas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica29

5 Year Member
These are my first sulcatas. Supposed to be a male and female. I did tons of research months before I got them. They are so cute. I'm already looking at plans to build a large shed for when they get big. First pic is the female, second is the male. Name suggestions? Was thinking fern or willow for the female.

73779A72-AFF4-47DA-9333-881C35CEEADE-14437-00000BAC3276A804.jpg

AF632509-6C7E-4999-A51A-BF4AEB2B45BF-14437-00000BABF018080E.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! They are cuties. :) How was the sex determined? :tort:

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
There's no way to determine age at that size. I've seen some people advertising hatchling "pairs" online and they are incorrect, just a sales gimmick. Anyways, they look great, read up on all the info provided here.

Jessica29

5 Year Member
I know it's not possible really to tell. That's why I said supposed to be male and female. The sex doesn't really matter to me anyways. I didn't even bother to ask how they were sexed.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
The sex at that age can only be determined if it was done endoscopically (sp).

I see young radiated tortoises for sale that are sexed this way, but I'm sure it's included in that $2k+ price.

Jessica29

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. Quick question. I bought some seed mix meant for tortoises from tortoisefood.com. While I wait for it to grow is it ok to feed them spring mix lettuce and mazuri? I also ordered 18 different seeds (weeds, flowers, grasses) that I'm still waiting to come in the mail.

KingInCulver

5 Year Member
Southern California
they are so cute! fern or willow is nice name. are you gonna stick to plant names?
everyone will tell you spring mix and mazuri is a-ok for your little ones, variety is the best.

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Fremont, California
Jessica29 said:
Thanks everyone. Quick question. I bought some seed mix meant for tortoises from tortoisefood.com. While I wait for it to grow is it ok to feed them spring mix lettuce and mazuri? I also ordered 18 different seeds (weeds, flowers, grasses) that I'm still waiting to come in the mail.

Very few hatchling tortoises are going to come ready to eat grass - even good, home-grown stuff. Spring mix and Mazuri is definitely an acceptable diet for torts this young - in fact, this can be their primary diet for most of the first year. Just make sure to soak the Mazuri and not feed it every day, while adding supplements to the spring mix. Then, as you get them eating, you can start to mix in grasses with the spring mix and Mazuri, or, in my personal preference, let them free graze while still feeding them the Mazuri and spring mix. They won't overeat, so this is a good way to make sure they're getting the right amount of food.

Jessica29

5 Year Member
[/quite]Very few hatchling tortoises are going to come ready to eat grass - even good, home-grown stuff. Spring mix and Mazuri is definitely an acceptable diet for torts this young - in fact, this can be their primary diet for most of the first year. Just make sure to soak the Mazuri and not feed it every day, while adding supplements to the spring mix. Then, as you get them eating, you can start to mix in grasses with the spring mix and Mazuri, or, in my personal preference, let them free graze while still feeding them the Mazuri and spring mix. They won't overeat, so this is a good way to make sure they're getting the right amount of food.
[/quote]

Actually I had some of the grass growing in their tank before I got them and they completely mowed it down. They loved it. I have three different trays growing at different stages right now. I hoping if I cut the grass it'll grow back. I also bought some immuno boost with the seed mix and they have a cattle bone in their cage. I'm going to do everything in my power to prevent pyramiding.

And I forgot to mention. Settled on Acer(type of maple tree) for the supposed male, and Fern for the supposed female. Yes, both plant names :)

Scott

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Jessica29 said:
I know it's not possible really to tell. That's why I said supposed to be male and female. The sex doesn't really matter to me anyways. I didn't even bother to ask how they were sexed.

I guess a benefit of sullies is that ignorance is bliss. You pretty much get to pick whatever sex you want them to be. Your vet is probably the only one that will ever know anyway.

surie_the_tortoise

5 Year Member
findlay,ohio
im guessing its other way around first is male 2nd is female. theres always exceptions but thats my guess. i been right 90% of time

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Hi and welcome. Lil cuties for sure. I fed Cooper spring mix, turnip greens, mustard greens, some romain, collard greens, Mazuri, and any other dark leafy green that was on the list of ok'd food. I also got seeds to plant and he ate it some, but he likes what I give him better then the so called "Sulcata Seed Mix". I still have a huge bag of seeds. Also he will eat timothy hay, but he didn't eat it till he got to around 12-14 month's if memory serves me correct. So make sure you get a nice varity of dark leafy greens, and the spring mix too, this is my opinion. Best of luck to you!

Jessica29

5 Year Member
surie_the_tortoise said:
im guessing its other way around first is male 2nd is female. theres always exceptions but thats my guess. i been right 90% of time

What are you guessing based off of? Just curious.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I'm pretty sure they are to young to just look under them and tell their sex. Sometimes, from what I have read and been told by life long breeders, it can take up to 4 years or longer to tell the sex. I wouldn't worry to much about their sex just now. :)

surie_the_tortoise

5 Year Member
findlay,ohio
females are more dome shaped males more flat wide. just a guess like most will tell you cant really tell would have see more pics to give a better gues but from the 2 pics thats my first thought . have also seen where you would almost bet money one was male or female and at age 4 or 5 you find out your wrong. compare the 2 and see the difference tale lenght things you will read about on here that males vs females have

Status
Not open for further replies.