My tortoise is screeching

Lesli

I have a 4 year old desert tortoise and today he's been making a screeching noise,like a kitten meowing.
We've had him since he was a hatchling and he's never done this before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There was a post not long ago that described exactly what you are reporting but I've been unable to find it. I think it turned out to be an upper respiratory infection.

Lesli

There was a post not long ago that described exactly what you are reporting but I've been unable to find it. I think it turned out to be an upper respiratory infection.

That's my concern. The soonest we can get him in is tomorrow :(!! I feel so bad for the little guy. Hopefully we can get him taken care of.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sometimes this is caused by constipation in a dehydrated tortoise.

How often do you soak him? What do you feed? Does he have a burrow, or is he above ground all the time?

Lesli

We took him into the vet and he does have respiratory infection and has intestine backed up. I attached a picture. He's on antibiotics and should start getting better soon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Wow, thank you for sharing that x-ray. I've never seen so much high contrast material in a tortoise x-ray before. When was the last time he had a bowel movement?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We took him into the vet and he does have respiratory infection and has intestine backed up. I attached a picture. He's on antibiotics and should start getting better soon

You didn't answer my questions.

I ask them because most people keep DTs much too dry, don't soak them often enough or keep them well hydrated enough, and what you are seeing is the typical result. Much of the advice out there on how to care for this species is wrong, and ends up killing them in time.

If you want some tips on how to resolve this issue and prevent it in the future, let me know.

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
Leslie,
Good job on catching this problem and getting vet care ! And thanks for sharing the x-ray. We all learn as we go.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Soak soak soak that tort and be sure to offer wet foods like romaine, zucchini, cucumber and the like. As the others have asked, what is primary diet and what is the enclosure like?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have a 4 year old desert tortoise and today he's been making a screeching noise,like a kitten meowing.
We've had him since he was a hatchling and he's never done this before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A very warm welcome to the forum.:D

Glad to have just read that your tort is now better. Would like to see pics of him/her.;)