My new sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintvic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
This one is pyramiding pretty bad. What do I do??

Attachments

• image-3739788414.png
    image-3739788414.png
    365.6 KB · Views: 52
  • image-425063248.png
    image-425063248.png
    1 MB · Views: 43

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Nothing you can do will change the pyramiding that is there already, all you can do is provide a great diet and make sure he/she stay's hydrated so that any new growth wil be smooth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lots of sun and hydration. At that size and age it won't change much, but with good care the new growth should come in a bit smoother.

Urtle

5 Year Member
Looks happy to me and that's the important part because at the end of the day looks just don't matter in the tortoise world he/she will eventually get laid lol

saintvic

5 Year Member
Texas
Lol very true. So if someone were to sell him to you, how much would you pay for it? He's 5 years old and about 13 in.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
well, i rescued all of mine.. some bad, some not.. and I didnt pay for any of them.. I dont know what the going rate for a sulcata adult with severe pyramiding is...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The pyramiding on a tortoise that size is set when he was in his first year of life. There's nothing that can be done for it now. He just needs to live outside in the sunshine and be able to graze on grasses and weeds. Having a nice big waterer that he can climb into when he wants also would be a good idea.

I would never pay for a sulcata. Here in California there are many sulcatas in rescues and turtle clubs waiting to be adopted for free.

saintvic

5 Year Member
Texas
Oh ok but if someone were to sell it, what's to high of a price? I know y'all wouldn't pay for one and I've never payed for one either but this one I did. I just want to see if I payed too much

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey Vic:

If you're happy with the tortoise, then don't worry about what you paid for it. If we all say its worth "such and such" and you really paid a lot more than that, its water over the bridge. Why beat yourself up over it. You've spent the money, now enjoy the tortoise. If the grass in that picture is where he'll be living, he's going to be having a much better life than in the past. No matter what you paid for him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is not an established market value for something like that. I don't think most people would pay for one like that. It really boils down to what it is worth to the purchaser and what the seller is willing to let it go for. Whatever you paid, it will be worth it because the tortoise will probably live for decades and give you much joy. I wouldn't obsess too much about the purchase price.

saintvic

5 Year Member
Texas
Oh ok I'm not being obsessive over the price, I just never got a straight answer. But thanks again for the input:). He's actually more active than all my other ones.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
Lots of sun and hydration. At that size and age it won't change much, but with good care the new growth should come in a bit smoother.

:cool: Exercise is good also.

Status
Not open for further replies.