Mold in tank

braige thomas

Location (City and/or State)
Knoxville TENNESSEE
Hey so since I've started getting right temps in my tank 84 86 and 88 was the highest I'm having mold.grow under the little food bowl i have I have had them for about 2 3 months now the burmess star haven't had this problem at all think it was cause my tank wasn't right temp so mabye it couldn't produce mold but what can I do to make it tstop only noticed it in this spot so far been checking around the enclosure what can I do
Thank yall for all the tortise help as always

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mold grows on rotting material. Doesn't have much to do with the temperature. I keep a small bag if substrate handy and every a.m. when I put new food down I first lift the feeding tile and grab a handful of the soiled substrate under it and dispose of it. Be sure to get all the old food. Then, if necessary add a handfull of clean ubstrate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey so since I've started getting right temps in my tank 84 86 and 88 was the highest I'm having mold.grow under the little food bowl i have I have had them for about 2 3 months now the burmess star haven't had this problem at all think it was cause my tank wasn't right temp so mabye it couldn't produce mold but what can I do to make it tstop only noticed it in this spot so far been checking around the enclosure what can I do
Thank yall for all the tortise help as always
What substrate are you using?

braige thomas

Knoxville TENNESSEE
What substrate are you using?
I use the big bag of cypress mulch from lowes and reptil soil for my live plants with the block of eco earth to keep wet

The other day I got some other soil though not the right thing they advised me it would keep plants alive but Def not right and the new stuff I tried could cause the mold
I've never had any mold before this but also my bag of mulch is now on my garage been raining alot and the bag was wet on the inside even though I wrapped it up in plastic so it being wet and kinda old could mabye be a reason I was thinking cause it's quite wet I'm gonna get a new fresh dry bag and a real repti soil bag and re do it

Can I use or get not chemical soil.from a lowes or wherever that's cheaper and bigger if you know ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are we talking about an indoor enclosure?
if so, I'd avoid soil altogether and keep the soil in small terra cotta pots and keep the plants potted. Then sink the pots into the substrate a little or a lot.
In the meantime. Try to determine what is growing mold. If it's the mulch, swap it out for Orchid bark. Orchid bark is very mold resistant.
I get mine from the Home Depot

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230626_153209_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230626_153209_Samsung Internet.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 0