Moist tort table?

emmamai

Location (City and/or State)
Surrey, uk
Hi, I'm new to the site and new to torts :) we recently got Lola who is 6wks old, with us for the last 2 and I'm trying to insure her indoor set up is right.
I've been reading posts and noticed people mentioning about keeping their enclosures moist? How would you suggested you do this? And is it highly important?
Lolas a Greek Iberia and in her in closure is top soil, is this right? She always has fresh water to get too

Thanks in advance
Emma

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Emma:

A lot of folks here close up the tort table, covering it completely. This keeps the moisture inside. But all I do is moisten the substrate (pour water over it and mix it up with my hand), and provide moist sphagnum moss inside the hiding place.

I haven't read our Greek care sheet in a while, but he might talk about the moisture in that care sheet. Take a look at it. You'll find it at the top of our Greek tortoise section.

emmamai

Surrey, uk
Thanks for your reply. I didn't see anything about this on the care sheet. How often would you recommend I do this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Recommend what? Adding water to the substrate? It usually takes about a week to dry out. So the answer is, when it dries out.

747117wei24kafiu.gif