Metabolic Bone Disease?

Smschiro

Location (City and/or State)
Naperville, Illinois
FF86D89F-85DD-40BE-BD7B-401CFB4B713D.jpeg BFF3A211-5F42-4571-84FF-55BCAA443410.jpeg E15655A3-0FED-4937-AF36-41EF25B62250.jpeg D70DDD56-89D7-4476-8EBA-CDF3103FF4EC.jpeg Hi guys! I’m relatively new here. Sad story... my Russian was taken by a hawk within 5 min that I had him outside soaking up some rays. It’s been extremely difficult... anyways (before I start crying like crazy) I was bought a new tort.. he’s a Greek tort and looks kinda old (and when I say old, my Russian was a baby, only 1.5) I’m thinking between 5-8 years and he seems to be in some pretty bad shape. I am wondering if he has MBD. He has a dent/obvious old wound in the middle of shell which has healed, and his shell just overall looks like absolute crap. If anyone could give me any advice that would be great. I am already giving him good dark leafy greens with vitamins and vitamin C, he has a UVB bulb, and his heat light.. think it’s just going to take a lot of time, but would really like to hear what you guys have to say. And if anyone could guess his age?? He has his bone on his tail.. so I’m assuming def not a youngin. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that just looks like normal wear and tear on a wild caught tortoise's shell. You're right, he does look very old, much older than the 5-8 years you figured. He also looks like another Russian to me, but then, I'm not the expert on Greek tortoises.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Sorry for the loss of your previous tort.

The tortoise the photos you posted is a male Russian. Looks to be wild-caught which explains the normal "wear and tear" appearance on the shell. No MBD, that is more noticeable in severe pyramiding and stunted growth. Your tortoise is fine.

Smschiro

Naperville, Illinois
Sorry for the loss of your previous tort.

The tortoise the photos you posted is a male Russian. Looks to be wild-caught which explains the normal "wear and tear" appearance on the shell. No MBD, that is more noticeable in severe pyramiding and stunted growth. Your tortoise is fine.

Ah, thank you, I know he was purchased at a pet store. Poor guy. He’s so sweet. I hope he will be happy with me...

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
His shell just needs some good soaks and lots of good food. Good luck especially if you have a friendly one, mine is failry grumpy ;)

Hevkemp20

Kent
No, that just looks like normal wear and tear on a wild caught tortoise's shell. You're right, he does look very old, much older than the 5-8 years you figured. He also looks like another Russian to me, but then, I'm not the expert on Greek tortoises.

How do you know he’s a Russian, Do they have the spurs/lumps on the back legs and a spike on the end of their tails like a Hermanns? Just wondering as I’ve read loads of info and I find it a little confusing:)

Hope the tortoise is happy with you bless him.

Smschiro

Naperville, Illinois
How do you know he’s a Russian, Do they have the spurs/lumps on the back legs and a spike on the end of their tails like a Hermanns? Just wondering as I’ve read loads of info and I find it a little confusing:)

Hope the tortoise is happy with you bless him.

Yes, he has the spurs on his back legs and the spike/bone on the end of his tail... which lead me to believe he was a Greek, also his head is shaped a little different

Hevkemp20

Kent
Yes, he has the spurs on his back legs and the spike/bone on the end of his tail... which lead me to believe he was a Greek, also his head is shaped a little different

Ahh I see, every pic I’ve seen so far shows Hermann tort having those features but I guess they share a lot of the same features.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Russians can have spurs on their thighs too. His plastron is solid black, which is indicative of a Russian. Greeks have random black spots on their plastron.

The shell is yellow with black on the scutes, also indicative of Russians. Greek shells are much darker.

I happen to have breeding groups for both the Russian and Greek species, so here are some comparison shots to show what I'm talking about.

Without a doubt, your new tortoise is a male Russian.PicsArt_08-31-11.18.55.jpegPicsArt_08-31-11.21.02.jpeg

Smschiro

Naperville, Illinois
Russians can have spurs on their thighs too. His plastron is solid black, which is indicative of a Russian. Greeks have random black spots on their plastron.

The shell is yellow with black on the scutes, also indicative of Russians. Greek shells are much darker.

I happen to have breeding groups for both the Russian and Greek species, so here are some comparison shots to show what I'm talking about.

Without a doubt, your new tortoise is a male Russian.View attachment 279687View attachment 279688

Thank you so much, I know it’s extremely difficult to tell age, is there any way to guesstimate this fella?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Thank you so much, I know it’s extremely difficult to tell age, is there any way to guesstimate this fella?
Because he's wild-caught, there's no way to tell, sorry. Tortoises grow at different rates. Yours could be anywhere from 7-70 years old. Male Russians grow to about 5-6" adult size so you can at least know if he's fully grown.

Smschiro

Naperville, Illinois
He also makes this weird very low squeak/grinding sound when he eats... he can open his mouth all the way, and is always eating, his beak does look slightly over grown... any thoughts? Again my previous tort was in excellent health, I had no problems, so I’m kind of new to this kind of stuff. Thanks.