Meet Shelly :)

Treeturtle3

Hello, I have a female star 3 years old here in FL. Her name is Shelly and she is quite a diva! She eats like a monster, but freezes as soon as she senses she's being watched. She perks up a little when I play pop music and doesn't seem to care for country or rock. I've had her for a month now and am glad to join this forum to help me with Shelly :)

Attachments

• IMG_2113.JPG
    IMG_2113.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2069.JPG
    IMG_2069.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 72

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Uranus
That setup looks like is inside an enclosure. And the plants, are they real plants ?
Nice setup, by the way.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome I am sure Shelly will be very happy in her new home. :)
The one thing I would change is the water dish - it has very steep sides and although it seems to have a sloping side - if she tries to get out anywhere else (torts don't go for the easiest option:rolleyes:) she could tip backwards and drown. Many of us use shallow terracotta plant saucers sunk into substrate and big enough for the tort to stretch out in to self soak, they have good traction and is safer than pet store dishes. Another good piece of equipment you will find useful is a digital temp gun which is great for spot checking the temps in different areas of your enclosure and more accurate than the dial type you have there. I got mine from Amazon but in the US I believe they are available from places like Home Depot and Lowes etc. A digital temp and humidity gauge with a probe is great to have too (also hardware stores).

Treeturtle3

Hi and welcome I am sure Shelly will be very happy in her new home. :)
The one thing I would change is the water dish - it has very steep sides and although it seems to have a sloping side - if she tries to get out anywhere else (torts don't go for the easiest option:rolleyes:) she could tip backwards and drown. Many of us use shallow terracotta plant saucers sunk into substrate and big enough for the tort to stretch out in to self soak, they have good traction and is safer than pet store dishes. Another good piece of equipment you will find useful is a digital temp gun which is great for spot checking the temps in different areas of your enclosure and more accurate than the dial type you have there. I got mine from Amazon but in the US I believe they are available from places like Home Depot and Lowes etc. A digital temp and humidity gauge with a probe is great to have too (also hardware stores).
Wow! Thank you so much for reaffirming some lingering doubts stuck in my head!