Lots of questions . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLBlue

5 Year Member
I am researching tortoises right now. I have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find answers to:

* What are some types of tortoises that can winter indoors? I live in the Midwest, so while I could have an outdoor enclosure during the summer months, I would need to be able to bring a tortoise in during the winter months. Are there types of tortoises that do well under that system.

* As far as outdoor enclosures, I have a couple of concerns. The first is building something sturdy enough to keep predators out. Are there any strong pre-made outdoor enclosures other there?

* Finally, one of the sites I visited talked about making sure the outdoor area hadn't been used as a bathroom by dogs that are on Ivermectin. I have dogs, and all take that in their heartworm preventative. How do you clean that out of the tortoise area? I do know that dogs might see tortoises as a toy, so definitely I'd never try to combine the two.

Thank you for any advice. I am not at all sure that I will get a tortoise, but I am curious about them and doing some research.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
First of all, Welcome!

1) I have a sulcata tortoise, he was a hatchling when I got him in October. I kept him indoors this past winter and will do the same this coming winter. After that he will be too big to keep inside. They need lots and lots and lots of room, they get really big really fast!

2) Have not ever seen a pre-made enclosure but search this forum for "tortoise enclosures" and you can also search the internet and find many great ideas.

3) Remove all dog poop from tortoise area and maybe even remove several inches of dirt. Till up the remaining dirt mixed with peat moss and fresh/organic soil. I then spread several inches of coco coir and cypress mulch over the ground. Plant tortoise friendly plants/grasses/flowers... and whatever you do keep your dog away from your tortoise!!!

Hope some of this helps!

zman7590

5 Year Member
Welcome!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Hello and welcome to the tortoiseforum. In my opinion, a russian tortoise or perhaps one of the other Mediterranean specie of tortoises. These still require a large indoor and outdoor habitat, but in that they don't get large like a sulcata and they come from a temperate environment, they are easier to care for. They are also a very hardy specie, and are more forgiving of the learning curve that naturally takes place with new owners. I applaud you in doing research first to learn the proper husbandry needed for keeping these most ancient animals as a pet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

I'm not real sure, but my common sense tells me that once you've picked up the dog poop containing the heart worm medication, you don't have to worry anymore. After all, the medication is poison to tortoises, which means, he would have to eat it to be poisoned. So if there is no poop to eat, I doubt he's going to sample the dirt the poop once rested on.

LLBlue

5 Year Member
Thank you for all of the advice. I went to the library and bought a book that said that Russian tortoises would always be trying to get out of an indoor enclosure and would hurt themselves. I take it that isn't everyone's experience?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
LLBlue said:
Thank you for all of the advice. I went to the library and bought a book that said that Russian tortoises would always be trying to get out of an indoor enclosure and would hurt themselves. I take it that isn't everyone's experience?

More inside then outside, but then look at home much less room they have to roam inside most places. Not sure why they would hurt themselves, unless you don't have their enclosures (inside and outside) made so they can't escape or fall over backwards and not right themselves (which would normally only apply to very young ones). Most dangerous under lights, heating units, or in too deep of water dishes.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Ummm, yeah. I don't know what they were referring to as far as them hurting themselves. Currently I have 4.4 russians, and before this group, I had 3.3. None of these ever hurt themselves trying to escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.