Looking for russian tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lstrayer92

5 Year Member
Hi everyone my name is Lindsay! And I am a proud owner of an adult male russian tortoise named turk! I am currently looking to an another russian to the family, turk seems to be a little lonely, he has a small turtle statue in his cage that he cuddles up to everyday and I feel like he needs a friend:( I am open to both genders, and Russians of all ages. I would prefer one that's already I good health but I am up to helping out any that are unfortunate and have problems/ disabilities. There is a reptile vet fairly close to where I live who is great. I have a great big yard that turk love walking around in and we spen as much time as possible in the sun (weather permitting). And I take grey care of my one boy that've have now and would love another one. If you have any questions about me or turk or whatever feel free to ask! And thanks for anyone reading this!!

Minority1

5 Year Member
You'll need a big enclosure if you want them to co-exist and even then you need the females to outnumber the males so they aren't being bullied.

Russians are very territorial and there are many stories of them biting and injuring each other on the forums. I keep my Russians separate. At least until I can find another female.

Lstrayer92

5 Year Member
Minority1 said:
You'll need a big enclosure if you want them to co-exist and even then you need the females to outnumber the males so they aren't being bullied.

Russians are very territorial and there are many stories of them biting and injuring each other on the forums. I keep my Russians separate. At least until I can find another female.

i have heard that about russian that they are territorial and that females should out number males, i have done alot of research online and on the forum before deciding about looking into getting a second tort. and when indoors i would keep them seperated but, my backyard is almost 2 acres, plus i have a small front yard and side yard so space out doors is no issue, and thats where turk (my male russian) spends most of the day weather permitting, i dont keep him out side during the night because like i said i have a big yard so he gets plenty of exercise and roaming around room and has plenty to graze on but i also live right beside the woods so during the night we have stray cats, dear, bears (in the summer) and foxes running around so i don't feel comfortable putting a house out there for him, its just scary to me haha, but i do have a big indoor home for him during the night time hours and cold days. And i absolutely would not mind having a separate home for another russian

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
OK, sounds like you are aware that they would probably have to live separately. (you mentioned Turk seemed lonely, but they do spend most of their time alone in the wild).
It sounds as if you have the means and more than enough room to house a second tortoise! Double the work but double the fun.
Keep an eye on craigslist as well, good luck in your search!

Lstrayer92

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
OK, sounds like you are aware that they would probably have to live separately. (you mentioned Turk seemed lonely, but they do spend most of their time alone in the wild).
It sounds as if you have the means and more than enough room to house a second tortoise! Double the work but double the fun.
Keep an eye on craigslist as well, good luck in your search!

thanks so much, i have been keeping an eye out on craiglist and checking my local paper and also looking online at some reptile rescues so hopefully i can find something soon! and i mention turk seems lonely because he cuddles up to a turtle statue thats placed in his cage haha idk it just must be me acting as a mother to him lol!! but again thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.