Looking for Breeder Pair of Russians

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Looking for a breeder pair of Russians. Located in Myrtle Beach SC
Breeder Russians need to be kept in groups with one male and several females. They should never be kept in pairs. The males will constantly harass the females, and when egg laying is imminent, or when they just feel like it, the larger females will sometimes attack and harm the males. Kept in a later enclosure with sight barriers and multiple tortoises, the chances of this are reduced significantly.

Its also beneficial to have a surplus male or two around to put into the enclosure around breeding times. The presence of another male and the ensuing combat will often increase breeding activity. The surplus males need to be supervised and removed before any damage is done to either of them.

Hope this info helps you become a successful breeder of Russian tortoises.

tbowling

Loris, SC
Breeder Russians need to be kept in groups with one male and several females. They should never be kept in pairs. The males will constantly harass the females, and when egg laying is imminent, or when they just feel like it, the larger females will sometimes attack and harm the males. Kept in a later enclosure with sight barriers and multiple tortoises, the chances of this are reduced significantly.

Its also beneficial to have a surplus male or two around to put into the enclosure around breeding times. The presence of another male and the ensuing combat will often increase breeding activity. The surplus males need to be supervised and removed before any damage is done to either of them.

Hope this info helps you become a successful breeder of Russian tortoises.
Thank you Tom for the information. I have 4 5 Russian 4 Females and 1 Male . I also have Hermanns. I used to have Sulcatas one being 125# and raised beautiful hatchlings but I prefer the Russians and Hermanns. I would love to have my own versus raising everyone else’s. 😂
Any information is appreciated

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom for the information. I have 4 5 Russian 4 Females and 1 Male . I also have Hermanns. I used to have Sulcatas one being 125# and raised beautiful hatchlings but I prefer the Russians and Hermanns. I would love to have my own versus raising everyone else’s. 😂
Any information is appreciated
Copy that. So you are looking to add to your group. That is fantastic. I wish more people bred Russians to feed the pet trade. They are a much better tortoise for almost everyone than sulcatas, and CB Russians are in short supply. Hermanni are a favorite of mine too.

Out this way, we frequently see them on Craig's list. Have you tried that? People sometimes offer them to me for free, but I can't take on anything else. Too much to take care of already. Can I put you on my list of people wanting free Russians to breed when they are offered to me?

Forgive me if you already know this stuff, but so few breeders seem to do it right. I like to share what I've learned:

tbowling

Loris, SC
Copy that. So you are looking to add to your group. That is fantastic. I wish more people bred Russians to feed the pet trade. They are a much better tortoise for almost everyone than sulcatas, and CB Russians are in short supply. Hermanni are a favorite of mine too.

Out this way, we frequently see them on Craig's list. Have you tried that? People sometimes offer them to me for free, but I can't take on anything else. Too much to take care of already. Can I put you on my list of people wanting free Russians to breed when they are offered to me?

Forgive me if you already know this stuff, but so few breeders seem to do it right. I like to share what I've learned:
Thank you Tom . Absolutely you can contact me if something comes your way. Yes just trying to add to my collection. I love my Tortoises. I have been searching Craigslist and I’m on the Morph site also. I’m filling to drive a few hours away. I could also give you my email.
I’m retired but we breed Miniature Horses. 37 of them 😂 so the Tortoises are my Hobby

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom . Absolutely you can contact me if something comes your way. Yes just trying to add to my collection. I love my Tortoises. I have been searching Craigslist and I’m on the Morph site also. I’m filling to drive a few hours away. I could also give you my email.
I’m retired but we breed Miniature Horses. 37 of them 😂 so the Tortoises are my Hobby
I love the mini's. My wife wants to get one or 10... I'm not telling her about you.

I have a friend that has several of them that she trains for film. We did a commercial with four of them walking side-by-side with little mini saddles and fake mini legs and they digitally added Maya Rudolph's face to each rider. It was a Super Bowl commercial for 2020. Found it:

tbowling

Loris, SC

Thank you for all this great information. I’m going to print it out, lots of great information. I appreciate any links , information, etc that you can provide 😊