Light bulb issues.. help please.

TaylorG.

Hello everyone!

I am currently using a 100 watt solar brite mercury vapor bulb for my russian. He loves it and the temp is great but I have one problem. Whenever the power flickers and the bulb goes out I wait for 20 mins for it to cool down before turning back on, but when it turns back on the light is very dim and flickers. Sometimes it shortens out and sometimes it doesn't. It eventually turns back on correctly but it takes a lot of work and time. I have it connected to power thru a zoo med timer. Is the timer what might be causing the problem? Or maybe my electric circut period? The light sometimes even acts up when turning on in the morning. I'm puzzled.. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

- Taylor

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is the nature of the beast. MVB are ballasted. They have to cool down before they'll come back on.

TaylorG.

So you do not think it is my timer? I also let it cool for 20 mins. Wouldn't that be enough time?

TaylorG.

It sometimes even gives me issues in the morning, but that has only happened once. It certaintly has enough time to cool down overnight.