Less activity???

faith_briars

I've had Cody for 4 years, and she's usually very active. About a year ago, my dad and I built an outside cage for her. During the summer, she is kept outside. Recently, I had to take her back inside and she isn't as active. She sits in one place in her cage and when I let her walk around my room, she walks slowly and is scared of me. She eats fine. Please help? This has never happened before. Thanks.

Turtleneck123

I've had Cody for 4 years, and she's usually very active. About a year ago, my dad and I built an outside cage for her. During the summer, she is kept outside. Recently, I had to take her back inside and she isn't as active. She sits in one place in her cage and when I let her walk around my room, she walks slowly and is scared of me. She eats fine. Please help? This has never happened before. Thanks.
What kind of tort do You have ?
How are the temps ?
How big is the enclosure?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Is it very hot at the moment where you are ?
Sometimes tortoises slow down in the heat and tend to hide more in the hottest parts of the day.
But you say she is now scared of you ?
Perhaps she had a shock or fright whilst outside.
If so, she will soon get back to normal.
Has anything else been changed in her habitat ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Faith, and welcome to the Forum!

In my opinion, tortoises need to have their own dedicated habitat. A place where they spend all their time. During the good weather this should be a safe and secure area outside. During the winter, your Russian tortoise will hibernate, so there's no need to bring it indoors, just box it up and put it someplace safe and cool.

Tortoises are creatures of habit and very territorial. Once he realizes he has his own space and there are no other tortoise invaders in his space, he'll settle down and be less afraid of you.

faith_briars

I wish I could keep her outside all the time, but where I live, the weather and temperature changes dramatically during the seasons. Cody is a Russian tortoise and her outside habitat is bigger than her indoor one. I had to move her inside because wasps made a nest in her outside habitat and kept coming back after they were sprayed. Any suggestions?

faith_briars

Hi Faith, and welcome to the Forum!

In my opinion, tortoises need to have their own dedicated habitat. A place where they spend all their time. During the good weather this should be a safe and secure area outside. During the winter, your Russian tortoise will hibernate, so there's no need to bring it indoors, just box it up and put it someplace safe and cool.

Tortoises are creatures of habit and very territorial. Once he realizes he has his own space and there are no other tortoise invaders in his space, he'll settle down and be less afraid of you.